Wednesday, January 25, 2023

A Wintry Scene in Northern New Jersey

A few days ago, I was up in northern Jersey on a rather ugly day in terms of weather. The day was supposed to be rainy, with snow possible up north. Yet, it was not snowy much at all in Butler, where my son lives.

But when I went up to West Milford, to use the library there, it got snowier and whiter as I went up the one hill which, going back to my younger days, seems to be the point when a borderline day like this changes from mere rain to snow. It is still always startling to me, this change in the weather, going from one end of the snow line to the other, even though I have seen it probably dozens of times, by now. Not sure why it still surprises me, but it does.

And it was beautiful! The further into West Milford I got, the whiter it got. At some point, it looked truly beautiful, like a winter wonderland!

I only pulled over once to take a picture. This is a picture literally right on top of the hill where I notice the change from rain to snow. This is atop the hill off of Otterhole Road, and you can almost see the divide here. There is some snow on the ground level, right by the lake. But you can really see it, and appreciate it, atop the hill in the distant, where it is a pure white winter wonderland. Had more time been available to me, I just might have liked to go for a hike. As it were, this was one of the last days of my son's second marking period, and I needed to help and motivate him for a strong ending, to get the best grades possible. So, no hike would be available for me.

Still, these two pictures came out nicely, I think. And it seemed worth sharing here.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment