Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Cormac McCarthy Gives Rare Interview, Which Focuses on Science


EXCLUSIVE: Dialogue with Cormac McCarthy About Science, on the occasion ...


Over the past couple of weeks or so, I have been posting some blog entries related to Cormac McCarthy. Of course, he just came out with two new books late last year, "The Passenger" and the follow-up, "Stella Maris." I just managed to read them both in 2022, and to get my reviews in just in the nick of time, before that year was up. 

Then, I decided to discuss a little bit more with a blog entry earlier this year, as well. 

Well, here is another one. McCarthy notoriously rarely ever does interviews. There were some from earlier in his career. But once he got more established, he only rarely gives interviews. The most famous one is Oprah Winfrey, following Oprah selecting McCarthy's "The Road" as a selection in her Book of the Month distinction.

Here is another one. I am admittedly not so familiar with this interviewer, and you will note right away that the interviewer kind of apologizes right off the bat. After watching the interview, he realized that he likely spoke too much. Also, there were some technical problems, particularly with the sunshine coming in and somewhat distracting the interviewer, who moves into a different position.

How did the interview go? I feel that the viewer should judge for themselves. I do have my own opinions on this, but am opting not to give it here. It is a pretty fascinating discussion, even if I managed only to get some of it, and by no means all of it. Admittedly, mathematics has never been my forte, and while fascinated with science, my own capacity for understanding it is also a bit limited. 

Still, this was a fascinating discussion involving one of the truly great authors of our time. In fact, some people consider McCarthy to be the greatest living American author today, and they are not entirely off base or without reason. 

So here is the interview in it's entirety. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment