Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Anthony Hopkins Described His Role in Thor As 'Pointless Acting'

Normally, I am not the kind of guy who "knows" actors and actresses, and can describe each of their styles and such. In fact, by and large, if I don't notice the actor, that is a good thing. 

That said, there are always certain exceptions, of course. Like everyone else, I knew Jack Nicholson, who may have been the first major movie actor who's actual acting I noticed. And I remember recognizing that it was Cher who was performing as an actor in movies like "Mask" and "Moonstruck." Yet if anything, I was impressed at how well she hid the fact that she was a well-known singer, and seemed capable of acting like a normal, everyday person, although I probably would not actually have been able to say it in such words back then, when I was still just a child. 

But there have been others, and the older I get, the more I noticed some of them. In the nineties, for example, Tom Hanks seemed to catch fire, and it felt like suddenly, he had lifted himself into one of the great actors of all-time. Joaquim Phoenix and James McAlvoy kind of came onto my "acting" radar screen as well. What was almost stunning to me, after noticing their roles ("Joker" in particular for Phoenix, and "Split" in particular for McAlvoy) was how many movies I had actually already seen with them without even knowing that they had been in those movies. But once you begin to see someone in a different light, it is hard to forget that, isn't it?

Well, Anthony Hopkins is another iconic actor. I have watched him play very diverse roles, from arguably his most famous role as 'Hannibal Lechter" in "Silence of the Lambs" to Adolf Hitler in "Bunker" to Charles Morse in "The Edge," which was a truly fantastic movie which I try to watch at tleast once a year, to Ted Brautigan in "Hearts in Atlantis," (a movie based on part of a Stephen King novel which actually came out really well, and which I still very much enjoy watching). He was also memorable as Ethan Powell in "Instinct" and William Parrish in "Meet Joe Black."

As it turns out, one of his most famous and recent major acting roles, as Odin in the Thos Marvel movies, did not rank as among his favorite roles to have performed. In fact,  he describes it as "pointless acting." I mentioned just days ago how tired I am getting of superhero movies in particular, and this seemed to reinforce that.  



Marvel: Sir Anthony Hopkins says Thor role was 'pointless acting' by BBC News, Published 6 June, 2020:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-65819559?at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_link_type=web_link&at_campaign_type=owned&at_format=link&at_medium=social&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_origin=BBC_Money&at_link_id=98D86B48-0450-11EE-BA97-3D213AE5AB7B&at_campaign=Social_Flow&fbclid=IwAR3RwyR8okqHBKU1T78g7VklOp813NRv8gHmd0AFASRN5cic-O0kZrW5IzM

No comments:

Post a Comment