Thursday, June 22, 2023

An Eventful Hike on the Day of the Summer Solstice

Yesterday, of course, was the Summer Solstice. 

In the afternoon, my son and I went on a hike in the woods of Sterling Forest in northern New Jersey, particularly at the Weis Ecology Center/Norvin Green State Forest. Very quickly into our hike, we saw a bear. Judging by it's size, I believe it was probably a female, although I cannot say with absolute certainty. All I can say is that there have been some bigger bears that I have encountered in the region over the years.

Still, it remains a thrill to see bears in the wild. I have always felt, and still maintain, that it is an enormous privilege to see such things. New Jersey certainly does not have the image of being a haven of the wilderness. Maybe places like the Pacific Northwest, or the deserts in the Southwestern United States. Even the more remote regions of upstate New York and/or New England are far more famous for having actual wilderness. Yet, here we were, in what can still be regarded as the suburbs belonging to the greater New York metropolitan area, and we were seeing some real wilderness here, with a bear strolling more or less casually in the woods. Again, what a privilege!

We wound up relaxing by the stream, and I was a bit alarmed, admittedly, by how low the water levels are. We really could use some rain! 

It was a nice hike, and I am always glad when my son and I spend what feels like real quality time together. And hikes such as this certainly qualify, in my opinion. 

So it seemed like a good idea to share some of the pictures which I took, of the bear, as well as of other aspects of our hike yesterday. Enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment