Monday, June 19, 2023

Mourning By Tantric

Tantric got big for a while, right around the time of September 11th, if memory serves correctly. It may have happened a bit before, but I also remember them making appearances on late night shows in the weeks just after September. For a long time, and through no fault of their own, of course, I associated them with that depressing period of time. Which, admittedly, is a bit unfair.

And yet, I liked them. At the time, the whole nineties music movement had lost a lot of steam, yet it was not entirely gone. And Tantric, with obvious links to Days of the New, and with a style that was understandably reminiscent of them, to boot, felt like they were a bit of a renewal of that nineties musical spirit and energy. Unfortunately, they did not last particularly long. In fact, they seemed to disappear almost as quickly as they burst onto the scene.

The biggest hit that they had was "Breakdown." That was a good song, and I really enjoyed that one quite a bit. At the time, it was likely my favorite.

However, that probably has changed. Nowadays, I prefer "Mourning," perhaps because I am older and can associate with the lyrical content a bit more. This particular song is now my favorite from Tantric. 

For some unknown reason, I seem to have gone a long, long time without really listening to Tantric. Back in those days - it's hard to believe that it's been over 20 years now - I got the album in cd format. Not even sure whatever happened to it, if it's still around somewhere without me knowing where. Clearly, I lost track. 

Still, I have suddenly found myself listening to Tantric quite a bit in recent days and weeks, rediscovering them, and particularly this song. Thought it might be nice to share it here, as well.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment