Thursday, September 19, 2019

Recent Trip to Skylands Botanical Gardens in Ringwood, New Jersey

Skylands Botanical Gardens in Ringwood,  New Jersey



In recent years, I seem to have made a habit - without specifically making a point of it becoming a habit - of taking my son to Skylands Botanical Gardens in Ringwood following his first day in school.

We did that again this year, and it was very nice. This was a particularly tough time for him to start the new school year. We had just gotten back from vacation about a week and a half before, and then, he was really not looking forward to starting school. He dislikes the school that he is attending, saying that it is the worst school that he has ever gone to, because thus far, it has been nothing but problematic for him.

This makes me feel bad, yet what may be worse is the feeling of powerlessness to do anything about it. Not a good feeling.

One thing that I can do is be there for him, to share the most important things that I can share with him: my time, my attention, and my energy. Hopefully, it helps him to feel that he does not have to endure everything all alone, that there are people he can turn to for help.

At the very least, these small little ventures can serve as a kind of escape. And Skylands was particularly beautiful this year, it seemed to me.

Here are some pictures from that trip to one of my very favorite places here in the United States:




























Skylands Botanical Gardens in Ringwood,  New Jersey

2 comments:

  1. I've always loved this place -- so calming and beautiful. Thanks for posting these photos, and for being such a good dad to our grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a kind compliment & sentiment. Hope that I live up to those lofty expectations! I do want the best for him.

    ReplyDelete