Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Tom Brady Still Has It


In fact, I can even sympathize, to a certain extent. After all, there are teams and players that I could not stand, and was sick of hearing about. The San Francisco 49ers, ever since the tail end of the 1980’s, grated on my nerves. And the Los Angles Lakers in the NBA are even worse these days. I am tired of those two teams. As for players? Well, I did not like Michael Vick, although he was not exactly racking up championships. But Ben Roethlisberger was, at least with two Super Bowl titles and three appearances overall in the big game, and I just could not stand his ass. Seriously, he should be behind prison bars, and not making millions of dollars playing a football game. Some things are more important than sports, than football, and I cannot respect the Steelers for keeping him, even though prior to that, I actually had an enormous amount of respect for that team. These days, with him, I hope they lose pretty much every week. Not sure if that will change or not once he is gone, once he retires. But until then, yes, I hope that they lose every week, and was not exactly crying with the results they had against New England.              

But back to Brady. I know some people are truly sick and tired of him. However, be that as it may, there is one main reason why I still root for this guy, and it is that he is the last major athlete in team sports that I can think of who is still going strong, well past the age of 40, and he is still one of the biggest superstars in the league! Here he is, having won the Super Bowl again earlier this season, and he is playing in this opening game, and throwing for three touchdowns, scorching the Steeler defense.              

That is a mighty impressive feat, and it was something that the NFL has not seen since George Blanda back in the early 1970’s. Yes, that is how far back you have to go to get someone who is comparable in age, but who also continued to play at a very high level, at what is a very advanced age, by the standards of most athletes in the league.              

Brady is not the only one, as Drew Brees is also quite old for NFL players. He is 40 years old, and if his team goes far once again in the playoffs, he will reach the age of 41, and still be playing (assuming that he will still be playing, and not sidelined due to injury).              

Sorry, but I am getting older myself, and on some level, at least, I can take heart in seeing some of these guys still playing at peak level, and being considered elite quarterbacks, at such an age, regardless of how tired anyone is of their teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment