Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Yesterday Marked the 50th Anniversary of the Twin Towers Officially Opening

  


I only learned about this earlier today, but yesterday marked the 50th anniversary of the official opening of the Twin Towers (the World Trade Center in New York City). 

My grandparents knew that I had this strange fascination with skyscrapers when I was a kid. So to appease this interest, they took my brother and I to New York City. Not sure how many trips we took there, but we saw the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and yes, the Twin Towers. I remember going up to the Observation Deck, and admiring the view. The one thing that I remember was the red carpet at the entrance, and how spacious and grandiose it all looked. Also, we were on the tower without the antenna, which felt vaguely disappointing to me at the time. 

As it turns out, that would be the one and only time in my life that I would actually go into the Twin Towers and visit them. That said, I should say that there was one time when my father and I attended a free concert that took place just underneath the Twin Towers, in the summer of 1998. It featured Philip Glass, with French rock act Autour de Lucie opening. It was a fun day, and the last time that I was ever really close to the Twin Towers before that fateful day, at least that I can remember. 

In any case, again, I just learned about this anniversary of when the now iconic Twin Towers officially opened back in 1973. It just seemed fitting to mark this occasion here on this blog. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment