Wednesday, April 5, 2023

CNN Video Flashes Back to 1973: World Trade Center Opening

Wish that I had thought to share this video the first time I mentioned this anniversary during an earlier post.

Yet, I may as well add another few memories from times I remember seeing the Twin Towers. 

Back in 1989, my father took the family to a mall very nearby the World Trade Center, to see a French folk band named Lo Jai. From certain vantage points, if memory serves correctly, you could see the two towers through the glass windows on the ceiling, and of course, when we stopped out. Lo Jai were there playing a free show in New York City that day as part of a series of French-related events that year, as that marked the bicentennial of the French Revolution, of course.

Also, I remember going to a friend's apartment for a sort of party, and they were located right across the Hudson from the World Trade Center. This was just days after the first WTC attacks, back in February of 1993, and the towers were darkened, which made them simply dark shadows in the night. You could just basically make them out, and I remember how ominous it seemed, looking at them after they had just been the focal point of world news. Of course, we could not know then that they would be the focal point of much, much bigger news headlines just a few years later. 

And one last memory. Life almost seemed to stop for a few days after the September 11th attacks. Almost. But I had a job interview scheduled for the 13th, and if memory serves correctly, it was in Jersey City, or close by. For some reason, the interview was neither pushed back nor cancelled. In any case, I drove on the highways, and that marked the first time that I saw New York City and it's altered skyline following the attacks. On television, it looked like the smoke had cleared. But in person, the smoke was still clearly visible from across the river, and this kind of stunned me. Seeing it in person somehow seemed more shocking to me. It is a sight that I'm not entirely sure I'll ever forget. 


No comments:

Post a Comment