Tuesday, April 2, 2024

A Mercifully Better Day

Yes, today was a bit better, in terms of my flu/cold. Not that I am cured, but I no longer feel either violently nauseous, don't have diarrhea, and the discomfort in my chest yesterday seems to have simply gone away on it's own.

Not that I'm getting blasΓ© about it. After the past few days, or even the last couple of weeks overall (because this sickness of mine has now lasted about two and a half weeks), I am grateful for any real signs of recovery.

This was a relaxing day, mostly. I had to take my girlfriend to a facility to tend to her own medical issues. She had a surgical procedure. We had to arrive very early in the morning, at about 6am. We got there, then she filled out the paperwork, and we waited. Maybe by around 6:40 or so, they called her name, and off she went. 

For a little while, I stayed in the waiting room. But I have light sensitivity, and those unrelenting neon lights were threatening to make a headache far worse. So I went outside, where the daylight was still a bit weak. It likely would have been anyway, since it was gray and rainy all day long. Still, I went into the car, went on my phone for a brief while (I haven't spent so little time on the internet as the last few days since I cannot even remember when), then read a bit. Then, I slept. 

Yes, I actually slept in her car, despite it being not particularly comfortable or warm. That was almost shocking to me. 

Yet, I felt better. After waking, I read a bit again, then got the call from inside, telling me that she was out of surgery, but needed a bit more time to fully wake up before she could go home. So I readied myself, although it would really be over an hour before she came out. 

Everything seemed to go well in her case. She got done what needed to get done, and there were apparently no complications or unexpected and unwanted surprises. On that level, it could not have gone smoother. Under the circumstances, she seemed in relative good spirits. 

The rest of the day seemed to be about sleeping. She slept a lot when we got back. Surprisingly, so did I. 

Not at first, though. I watched some television in the living room, while she lay next to me and eventually fell asleep. Eventually, I too felt fatigued, and decided to lay down in the bedroom. I slept for most of the next five or six hours, which was astonishing!

Guess that I needed it. 

After that, ironically, it was my girlfriend who was worried about me, concerned that I had slept so much of the day. But I felt a bit better. 

Now, that annoying tickle in my throat is still there, which unfortunately also means that the cough is still there. Annoying. 

Still, I did take the medication that the doctor prescribed to me to try and get rid of the cough. Hopefully, this one will work much better than the previous doctor's visit, but let's see. 

In any case, that is that for the time being. She seems to be fine, and I hopefully am getting better. It was a relaxing day. I was too nervous to eat early in the day, especially before her surgery. The last thing that I wanted was the possibility of feeling the urge to vomit or have diarrhea while waiting around in there. But once we were home, I ate some berries, two bananas, toast, crackers, and chicken soup. Not a feat, but probably the most that I have eaten in a few days.

Let's see how the next few days go.

No comments:

Post a Comment