Friday, April 5, 2024

Earthquake in Northern New Jersey









Well, this was unexpected!

I was lying in bed, trying to get back into my routine schedule (I work the overnights, and am returning to a regular work schedule tonight) when it happened. It felt a bit like when a huge truck passes you at highway speeds. Everything shook, and it sounded loud. At first, I assumed that someone in a nearby home had turned some very heavy machinery on. Maybe even the neighbors themselves.

So I got up out of bed. But the cats were lying on the couch, looking at me as I came out of the bedroom. Then I heard neighbors talking, asking, "What was that?"

A few minutes later, I got a text from my girlfriend at work (she works right here in town), confirming that it had indeed actually been an earthquake. 

I went back to bed initially, or tried. But I got up, because sleep was done. Sometimes, you can just tell. Checked social media, and saw that people were talking about it. Then I turned New Jersey News, and they had some in-depth analysis (of course). I had never known that New Jersey has a fault like, called the Ramapo Fault Line. Learn something new every day, right?

Obviously, fault line or not, New Jersey is not particularly known as an earthquake zone. In fact, the few times that we had confirmed earthquakes before, I somehow missed it. There was one decades ago that I apparently slept through, and another one in 2011, I believe, which I just don't remember feeling at all. 

This one, however, I definitely felt and heard. I have never before felt or experienced an earthquake. Clearly, this is not typical for our region here, or anywhere along the eastern seaboard, to my knowledge. So it seemed worth acknowledging and posting a blog entry on here. 




Magnitude 4.8 earthquake strikes northeastern United States Story by Dan Mangan • 55m:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/magnitude-47-earthquake-strikes-new-york-new-jersey-region/ar-BB1l8mS8?fbclid=IwAR2JVbVwj2E-ZnawbYEye0wQlHwAUnZCT10TSXB0WsFvp3n2Qc6ujV4zXUY_aem_ATkCVl3r-r0oC9pcScbrXVbWap5odhEHLpjw_gvVHhNzp57CVbIW6id-T7DGAMOlHohhSrjPyXKz3q4TbUbq1pZK















No comments:

Post a Comment