Friday, April 19, 2024

A Spring Afternoon in Princeton, New Jersey

 







Earlier today, I had some business to attend to in Princeton, New Jersey. Princeton is relatively close to Hillsborough, the town where I have now lived for 12 years or so. It is a beautiful town, rich in history and beauty. 

Back when I was attending college, a visit to Princeton always felt...well, unique and rare. A bit of a privilege, even. I remember meeting friends who took my then wife and I around the town, for my first real visit. That was the first time that we saw Drumthwacket, also known as “The People's House,” where the Governor of New Jersey officially resides. That was also the first time I really ever remember visiting the campus of prestigious Princeton University, which has a distinctly Old World kind of a feel to it. Truly a beautiful campus.

The town of Princeton also is quite attractive. Really, it is a gem within the Garden State. So I decided to spend just a bit more time here, and walk around a bit. Also, to go to the park I usually go to when I come here, and read a little bit.

Today specifically, I drove past Drumthwacket, the gubernatorial residence, but not before stopping briefly to take these pictures. I walked a little bit through the village, as well as the campus, including my favorite building, Nassau Hall, which is one of the most historical buildings not only in New Jersey, but in the United States. Built in 1756, it once was the de facto Capitol building, where the Congress of the Confederation met. It also served as the site where George Washington received congratulations from Congress for his prominent role in achieving American independence. Then, I went to the Princeton Battle Monument Historic Site, with the monument itself having been inspired by the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. Then, I concluded my trip with a leisurely stroll through the gardens of the Morven Museum & Garden, which has an association with Robert Stockton, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. 

Obviously, I took some pictures, and thought that it would be worth sharing them here.

Springtime in Princeton. Not bad. 







The Morven Museum & Garden





























































The Princeton Battle Monument & Views of and From Park





















































Princeton Village - Not sure what this building is called or how old it is, but it has always been one of my favorite spots in Princeton.













Princeton University Campus & Nassau Hall


























Drumthwacket, or “The People's House,” the official residence of the Governor of New Jersey




No comments:

Post a Comment