Friday, February 28, 2020

East Bay Ray Still Hopes for Reunion With Former Dead Kennedys Bandmate Jello Biafra





Recently, I mentioned Jello Biafra, a punk musician and political activist who my brother got me into back in my teenage years. He is clearly supporting Bernie Sanders, which is not really surprising.  

Well, since I was on the subject of Jello Biafra and did some research, it seemed fitting to include something else that I came across this article about East Bay Ray, who used to be a fellow band member with Jello Biafra with the Dead Kennedys, back in the late 1970’s and well into the 1980’s. There has been some bad blood between Biafra and the other members of the Dead Kennedys, who continually sued Jello Biafra after the break-up of the band. They have not exactly been fond of one another since.  

Still, East Bay Ray hopes that this can all be put aside, and that a reunion with Jello can perhaps become a reality sometime in the future.  

I was really happy to get the chance to see the Dead Kennedys – sans Jello Biafra – back in 2002, which was the first of what turned out to be three times that I have seen the band. At the time, it was an absolute thrill, because I had not expected to be able to see the band…like, ever. I jumped on the opportunity, and saw them. That was with Brandon Cruz performing as the lead singer, in place of Biafra. Eventually, I saw them with other frontmen, as well.  

That said, admittedly, they are much weaker without Biafra, who brings an undeniable energy and intensity to his live performances. I have seen Jello Biafra a few times. Once, with my brother in a spoken word event in the city. Twice with the Melvins. And three times with his newest band, the Guantanamo School of Medicine. And despite his advancing age (he is 61 years old not), he does bring serious energy and political focus into his live performances.  

It seems that the other band members of the Dead Kennedys – East Bay Ray, Klaus Flouride, and D.H. Peligro – have tried to presumably make some money off the famous name of their band, releasing some live performances and DVD’s, as well as going on tours, again with various lead singers trying to take the place of the frankly irreplaceable Jello Biafra. All of that does not seem like it sits well with Biafra.  

East Bay Ray might hope that there will be a reunion with Jello Biafra at some point. Frankly, though, I would not hold my breath for that one.  

In any case, the link to the article with East Bay Ray is down below.  

Additionally, I added the video which recobngized and celebrated Jello Biafra’s Alternative Tentacles label, which regularly releases music albums, DVD’s, and even publishes some books, since this video seemed worth sharing.  

Enjoy!



Dead Kennedys' East Bay Ray on Their Explosive Live Legacy -- And His Hopes for Jello Biafra  4/10/2019 by Greg Prato:

No comments:

Post a Comment