Thursday, February 15, 2024

Shooting at the Super Bowl Parade Celebrating the Championship By the Kansas City Chiefs

There was another major shooting that made news headlines yesterday. This one came in Kansas City, during the parade celebration honoring the recent Super Bowl win by the hometown Chiefs team. 

So far, the latest news reports have stated that one person was killed, and that several others were injured. 

My girlfriend and I were at the local diner, having an early Valentine’s Day dinner. The news was on the television there, and it was horrifying. 

I remember taking my son to MetLife Stadium after the Giants had won Super Bowl XLVI back in February of 2012. It felt like one of those rare times when everyone was just happy about something. We all were in a jovial mood, and for the same reason. How often does that happen these days? 

And while that was at the stadium – I’m sure that there was a security check at the gates, although I somehow cannot even remember that anymore – there had been a parade in New York City earlier in the day. I opted for the celebration at the stadium more out of convenience than anything else, but otherwise, I might have taken my son into the city to see the parade and the celebrations there. 

It is just unfathomable to me to think about what happened yesterday. Many well-meaning and happy fans of the Chiefs, simply going into the city to see a parade celebrating a huge triumph by the local team. And instead of it being a festive day, everything was cut short because yet another lunatic with a gun decided to go on a rampage. 

My heart goes out to the victims and their family and friends. Yet, those words sound hollow to me at this point. It feels to me like this just keeps happening, and here in the United States in particular, more than anywhere else. Far more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment