Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Learning More About One of France's Greatest & Most Unique Treasures: Mont-Saint-Michel

 

This was a picture taken from a video I made of a trip to the Mont-Saint-Michel back in May of 2000, when my then new wife (now my ex) and I went on our honeymoon. Not sure why I relied solely on videos back then, because obviously, this picture suffered in quality for it. Still, it's better than nothing, right?


 

Back in 2000, I got married. As newlyweds, my then wife and I went to France for about a week and a half or so. Mostly, we visited Paris, although we took side trips for a day visiting other things, particularly the chateaux of the Loire, and Mont-Saint-Michel. Although there remains plenty of places in France that I would love to visit but have yet to see (Carcassonne, the Normandy Beaches, and the French Riviera in particular come to mind), I had long wanted to visit each of these sites, and was happy to so. 

Mont-Saint-Michel in particular is one place which I am glad to have visited. I saw a documentary on it not too long ago, and it was fascinating. Also, it is one of the most iconic places in France, in Europe, and arguably, the world. Probably among the top hundred to two hundred famous and historic landmarks in the world.

It was interesting watching that video for the first time in years. A flood of memories came back from the trip. These days, I remember some parts of it, including the bus ride on the way, and especially on the way back. I remember getting a taste of the Crêpe bretonne that my brother ordered, and how windy it was (it comes out very loudly on the video). We climbed all the way to the top, stopped at some of the shops along the way in the very narrow street through the medieval village at the base of the island. I remember the view from the top, and the view of Mont-Saint-Michel from the other side of the water. It was an incredible day, although since it was through a tourist agency, it was a bit rushed. We all wished that we had had more time to explore.

Hopefully, there will be a next visit, and maybe we can get a more thorough visit next time.

Still, I am very glad to have been there at least once. After coming across this article, it seemed like something worth posting about. Take a look at this interesting article (click on the link below) featuring some information about this landmark, one of France's greatest treasures, and an iconic pilgrimage site, as well. 





Mont-Saint-Michel: 8 things you probably didn't know about this French treasure It's one of France's most recognisable symbols – these are its secrets BY TINA LOFTHOUSE  2 April 2023:

https://www.cntraveller.com/article/mont-saint-michel?utm_campaign=falcon_Qyhd&utm_brand=conde-nast-traveller-uk&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1ICtvv55DKIQ_ZYZ5wWuf8B1aqr072Ip1vrcE3R5UWXKl9Ls0KnC5LhyM




The original picture that I took from the video (which I transferred onto DVD) taken of our visit to Mont-Saint-Michel, before making the adjustments and alterations for the version above. None of them came out great, but this was the best of the ones which I did manage to take.








Some other pictures from the video taken of the trip to Mont-Saint-Michel:


















No comments:

Post a Comment