Friday, June 21, 2019

School Year is Over & Now Summer is Officially Under Way!

Yes, it's finished, at least for a few months.

Sure, there are those singing, "See you....in September!"

But for now, we have long, summer days, and no school. My son had his last day of the seventh grade on Wednesday and I, surprisingly, worked right to the very last day, which was yesterday (Thursday).

In truth, I was working like crazy the last few weeks, and felt exhausted, just spent and always tired. Between that and a new job on the overnights that I am still learning the ropes for, it has been truly draining.

This was the first day when I knew, getting out of the night job, that I would not be heading half an hour away, to my next job, during the day shift, for another two and a half months or so, at least. 

See you in September indeed!

Today was the longest day of the year, at least here in the northern hemisphere. I hardly got any sleep, and so as I write this, my fatigue level is through the roof. 

Yes, I am extremely tired. But also content. It all seems like a blur now looking back. Yet, there were times when this school year felt long, like it was dragging and would never end. There were times when it was hard to imagine the next time that I would get one good day or two to sleep and take it easy, catch up on my rest, if you will. Recharge my batteries.

Now, the opportunity is obviously here for that, and truth be told, I cannot wait until it is time for me to go to sleep. I want to get a good amount of sleep tonight, which will be my one night off before another block of overnights. But I intend to catch up on rest quite a bit over the next week and change or so. The time and opportunity should be there now, with minimum conflicts of interest, which it felt like the school year was loaded with such. 

And so, if you are still reading this, and if I am even still making sense by this point - I was not kidding about being very tired, and my concentration is really beginning to wane - then here is hoping that your summer got off to a great start as well and that you enjoy the best summer possible, and are looking as forward to your summer vacation plans as I am (it's not all about catching up on sleep, although that is one of the most promising aspects to it). 

Happy Summer 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment