Thursday, September 2, 2021

Trying To Navigate Our Way Out of Hillsborough After the Storm


Just a blog entry for now about one thing that happened here in this part of New Jersey.

Earlier, I already mentioned how bad the storm, the remnants of Hurricane Ida, pounded New Jersey last night. And it really did. The rain was pounding down, there were thunderstorms, and the winds sounded quite strong at times.

Well today, we saw the aftermath in our area. My girlfriend thankfully convinced me just to stay home, and I am very thankful that she did so. There were broken down cars everywhere. Literally dozens that we passed that had clearly sustained serious damage, probably most of them dead, from all of the water. In some cases, you could even see that they had been mostly submerged under all of the water. In a few cases, with some of the streets we passed by, you could still see some cars mostly submerged under water. Take a look at the second picture down below, which was taken in Manville, a town that is prone to serious flooding. There is a car that can be seen submerged inside of that high water. At first I thought someone was actually in the car, but it was just shadows from the leaves of the trees blowing a bit on top of it. 

Since I had not managed to get my son back the night before, I figured it could be done today. There was no way out through Manville, obviously. And we went through Manville in the first place because Route 206 was blocked, with part of it also under a serious amount of water. We are talking measurements in feet, not inches (or in metric, probably at least a meter deep, if not even more). Again, we could see some cars that had been stuck, and others that had been pushed to the side of the road, presumably not about to be started again. 

In fact, I spent one hour and a half, more or less circling around our apartment in most directions, and found no real way out of town. It was not even this bad following Hurricane Katrina locally, but it was really bad this time around.

Just stunning. So I thought I would share the pictures that I took during the obviously frustrating drive. Yet, we were the lucky ones - knock on wood - because we did not have to go through any serious depths of water. In fact, this was more or less a minor inconvenience. My son did not have another change of clothes, but otherwise, we were fine. 

Ira went through New England after this region. Have not paid attention, but I imagine that now it has gone out to sea again. 

What a storm!

Here's hoping that everyone stays safe out there! Please take care.






No comments:

Post a Comment