Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Branch Brook Park Cherry Blossom Festival 2022




Last week, I wanted to bring my son to the Branch Brook Park Cherry Blossom Festival of 2022. Car problems prevented this.

However, we were finally able to go on Monday. This has become a regular visit during the springtime for me, especially with my son. It still amazes me that such a serene park, which is splashed with beautiful colors during springtime, is so close. There are even more cherry blossoms here than in Washington, which is famous for it.

So it has become a staple destination during the spring season here in New Jersey. Why not?  

My favorite part of the park has always been the part by the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark. Done in the French Gothic Revival style, the cathedral is beautiful yet distinctive, and is visible from quite far. The interior is quite beautiful, although for some reason – perhaps the pandemic, but I am not sure – it always seems to be closed for the past few times that we paid it a visit.  

Nevertheless, this is one of the most beautiful churches in North America that I know of, and the cherry blossoms and pond of Branch Brook Park, which are very nearby, and which the cathedral dominates from certain angles, makes it look truly spectacular. Frankly, it almost feels like it would not be out of place as a major tourist destination in Europe. Yet, somehow, it remains largely underappreciated, although I have noticed that it seems to be growing more and more popular each year. It seems there are more cars parked, lining the area, and many of them are out of state plates, at that.

Maybe Branch Brook Park is finally getting some recognition that it has long deserved. I know that Newark, specifically, has a rough reputation. Some people have disparagingly referred to it as the gun capital of the country, and I remember even seeing someone wearing a t-shirt with the name of the city printed out of guns. It may feel a bit unsettling to some to make a point of going to Newark to visit something. 

All of that said, Newark is often not quite as bad as some make it out to be. I used to work there, and would walk from my train station to work and back, even though they were over a mile apart. Near my work, which was very close to Penn Station (Newark) was the Iron Bound District, which has some great restaurants and shops. Newark Museum is excellent, as is the Newark Public Library, which I made a point of getting a membership for while working in the city. Plus, everybody knows about Newark Airport and "The Rock," or the Prudential Center, where the Devils play, and where there still are a number o other major events, such as concerts and such. 

Yet, Branch Brook Park tops them all, if you ask me. This place is worth it, and it is really spectacular at this time of year. It offers such a splash of color, and it really makes the park! Personally, I have been here a number of times, and never saw any real violence break out. Maybe it happens, and admittedly, I never stayed past dark or anything, either. But this is worth a visit, especially if you are a local. Again, how many places in New Jersey are quite this beautiful? 

Below are some of the pictures from our most recent visit to Branch Brook Park, which actually stretches from Newark to neighboring Belleville.

Enjoy!







































































No comments:

Post a Comment