Thursday, December 21, 2023

Today - December 21st - is the Shortest Day of the Year (in the Northern Hemisphere)

   






Yesterday, I had to work an extra work shift at my part-time job, which I usually only work on the weekends.

Well, it is a bit like a fish bowl, surrounded on two sides by glass windows, giving a view of the outside. I actually like this, since I am a believer that the natural daylight tends to be a good thing. Probably healthier for us, in ways that we neither fully understand or appreciate yet, at least on a societal level. It is not like being outside when I am working there, but better than nothing.

In any case, one thing that I noticed - could not help but noticing, in fact - was that it got dark early. I mean, really early. It was a downcast day, and it looked and felt like it was growing a bit darker already by about a quarter to four.

That seemed ridiculously early to me. Yet, it just kept growing darker and darker.

Now don't get me wrong: I actually usually enjoy this time of the year. Yes, the holidays can be stressful. But they also possess a certain charm to them. Even the cold weather holds a charm, at least during the holiday season. It is once it gets past the holidays, and you have the rest of January, and then February, and then March to deal with, when it begins to grow a bit cumbersome.

Yet, just as it is about to grow quite cold and depressing, one thing happens that has always kind of amazed me. At precisely the moment when we enter winter's icy grip, the days stop growing shorter and begin to go the opposite direction. Indeed, the days are beginning to grow longer now.

It will be difficult to detect any real change, at least at first. I feel like it usually takes maybe up to three weeks to really notice any kind of real difference. 

Still, that does not change the fact that the days are truly growing a bit longer now. And that always felt like a small glimmer of hope, just as things are growing colder and bleaker and darker, quite literally. So that's something, isn't it?

For what it's worth, today was the first official day of winter.

Let's hope it's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment