Tuesday, January 9, 2024

The Big Storm in New Jersey Tonight

As I am writing this here in Hillsborough this evening, it has been raining for most of the day, since about 10am or so this morning. 

It is strange, because this morning started out really frigid. It was still cold - as well as soggy - when I went out for a walk earlier today, from about 1pm until 2pm. But the temperatures had climbed at least a little bit, so that they were hovering a few degrees above freezing. It certainly did not feel mild. Trust me, because when I came home after my usual 2.5 mile walk (what I refer to privately as the "Hillsborough loop"), my hands were so cold, they actually kind of hurt a little bit. It took me a long, long time to get warm again, especially my toes. That was the kind of day it was earlier.

Yet, it grew warmer and warmer. Ironically, it grew surprisingly warm after dark. Usually, it is the opposite during the winter months, as the end of daylight usually means temperatures here go down. Usually, it gets quite frigid.

This storm is different, however. It is dumping literally inches of rain. Amounts vary in different parts of this greater New York metropolitan area region. But one thing for sure: the warmer temperatures, mixed with the heavy rain that we are getting (and the heaviest period is supposed to happen more or less right now, as I am writing this at 9pm in the evening on a night off from work for me) is supposed to cause massive amounts of flooding throughout this region. Obviously, that is particularly true of flood-prone areas, and we happen to live in one. 

So to the extent possible, we are doing what we can to prepare. We have plenty of food to get by. Also, we both stayed home, and made a point of not going out or driving, since it is not an absolute necessity to do so. Tonight feels like a night when nobody should be out on the roads unless they absolutely have to be out there.

Also, I parked my car in a spot as far away from any trees as possible. Usually, I park underneath one moderately sized tree. But I moved it, just in case, you know? Not that it's likely to fall. It just seemed like not a big deal to go that extra step and be safe, right? Better that and nothing happen, then assume that nothing would happen, and wake up the next morning to a nasty surprise. 

Anyway, I am charging my phone, which my girlfriend reminded me to do. It sure seemed like a good idea, because you never know if or when the power is going to go out. 

Right now as I am writing this, I just heard the wind pick up for the first time. The winds are supposed to be very strong and treacherous tonight, also. 

Let's hope the storm passes without too much damage, and without causing too much in the way of flooding, to boot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment