Monday, January 15, 2024

Another Look at the More Controversial Aspects of MLK

 'The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.'   


~ Martin Luther King, Jr.






A picture of my son in front of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial in Washington, taken back in the spring of 2013 for the Cherry Blossom Festival. 




Not too long ago, I published some blog entries on Martin Luther King, Jr. for the national holiday in his honor.

At the time, I posted the one and only picture that I thought that I had of the MLK memorial in Washington. But I found a couple more, including the one that was added on the top of this particular post, where it is a straight on shot of the memorial. The one with my son is underneath it.

It seemed  like a good idea to add it to those earlier posts on his holiday, as well as this one, when I write about him again, having been reminded of it by a very recent video from Lee Camp about MLK quotes that too often get buried under the more or less inspiration and largely non-controversial quotes that most Americans (although certainly not all, especially in this age of Trump) can agree with.

Please watch the video below, and perhaps get a better understanding, and hopefully appreciation, of Martin Luther King, Jr.. He and this country at the time faced many of the same dilemmas that we are facing now, and it seems to me a worthy endeavor to remember his wisdom and his moral courage in standing up to what he saw was clearly wrong. We could use a little bit more of that today, especially in Washington.


No comments:

Post a Comment