Saturday, September 28, 2024

A Visit to the Waterfront in Cape Town

Cape Town always was the main city  in South Africa that I wanted to visit.  It's where the modern version of South Africa began. It also is a city with some of the most spectacular, breathtaking natural beauty in the world. 

And the most famous part of the city is, understandably, the iconic Waterfront. This is the area sandwiched between the two most spectacular aspects of natural splendor that the city has to offer.  Here, you can get some amazing views of both the ocean and the mountains. That includes the iconic Table Mountain, which dominates the city. It also includes Lion's Head, as well. 

Now I have to admit that I was too exhausted after arriving at my hotel in Cape Town to just rush out. The prior 48 to 56 hours or so had been a chaotic blur, having consisted of finishing packing, going off on the long and annoying trip to JFK Airport, where my new altered flight to London's Heathrow Airport was taking off from. Then the flight, a day layover exploring London, and then another connecting overnight flight to Johannesburg.  Then, the guided tour of Johannesburg, Soweto, and Pretoria, which lasted nine hours, before ending the night at the hotel, feeling spent. A few hours of sleep before waking up obnoxiously early, but taking advantage of that time to get some important things done. At least I had gotten the chance to lay down in an actual bed. Yet another flight to Cape Town, taking  a couple of hours trying to recharge the phone, and then heading over to the city to check in early at my hotel. 

Part of the reason that I stayed at the airport instead of rushing off was that I felt that there would be a better chance of checking in and getting my room at noon than a couple of hours earlier, even. So I got my room, and shortly after that, decided to take a nap. I slept longer than intended, but again, I was by this point exhausted. 

After that, however, I was ready. 

It was time to explore the city. 

Below are some pictures from my visit. 

This really is a beautiful city. 

Enjoy. 


































No comments:

Post a Comment