Saturday, September 7, 2024

NFL in Brazil Friday Night Game: Eagles Survive Packers

     



🏈🏈🏈🏈


Philadelphia Eagles 34, Green Bay Packers 29



Right up front, let me just say that I did not watch this game. I am not as religious a fan of the NFL as I once was as a young man. But even then, a game that did not air on any of the conventional channels that broadcast the NFL would have been very much out of my ability to watch. You had to have a subscription to NFL +, Youtube Premium, or Peacock to be able to view this game. And I do not have subscriptions to any of those channels.

Nor will I, simply because you may be able to catch an NFL game like this one on them here and there. Frankly, I am appalled by the transparent greed that rules sports leagues, and perhaps especially the NFL these days. It's the NFL that seems to be pushing these pay-per-view or close equivalent games. And the more fans subscribe just so they can see them, the more emboldened the NFL gets to do more of them.

No thank you.

However, it is an NFL game. Frankly, truth be told, I had largely forgotten about this game (again, I am not nearly as big of a sports fan as I once was. So there is no claim to picks or predictions, and whether I got it right or not. 

That said, the Eagles won. They were behind for most of the first half, but then rallied to take a lead, and hung onto that lead in the end.

Both of these were playoff teams last year, and so it was interesting to see how they would come out for his one. The Packers barely qualified, but then made some serious noise by blowing out the Cowboys in Dallas, and then pushing the 49ers right to the end of the game before bowing out. 

As for the Eagles last year, they had gotten off to a 10-1 start after barely losing the Super Bowl the previous season. But then they got scorched in a big regular season showdown against the 49ers, and their entire season derailed after that. They qualified for the postseason, but lost right away in Tampa Bay, which meant that after that red hot 10-1 start (which qualified them for the best record in the league at the time by two games), they won only one more time in their remaining seven games, including the postseason game.

So this win has to be an encouraging sign for fans in Philly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment