Monday, October 14, 2019

Swaying to Our Symphony of Corruption

For the first time in several years, I heard a song earlier tonight that I used to listen to a great deal more when younger.

This was "Symphony of Destruction" by Megadeth, and I paid far more attention to the lyrics this time around than I normally might have. It is not like I had not paid attention to those lyrics before, but they just seem a whole lot more relevant now than they were even back when the song first came out. They spoke to me to a degree back in the late teen/early adulthood days, but they seemed a whole lot more poetic and, let's face it, prophetic, listening to it again for the first time in many years.

I am tired tonight, and did not get to write nearly as much as I had hoped. But I do like to publish at least one post every day, assuming that I can. So tonight, here is submitting for your approval an examination of the lyrics to a song that I heard not only for the first time, but listened to with different ears, and a much different perspective, than before.

It was my brother who got me this album back in, I believe, 1992, either for my birthday or Christmas. He seems to have a great memory for those things, so maybe he remembers it better. But either way, I remember listening to it quite a bit for a few years there, before it became another album that mostly was admittedly forgotten about once my tastes turned to other music. Hell, I do not even remember having heard it since, perhaps quite literally, the nineties. But it was enjoyable to listen to earlier tonight, and on several different levels, this time around.

Here are the lyrics to "Symphony of Destruction, by Megadeth (lyrics by Dave Mustaine):


 You take a mortal man 
And put him in control 
Watch him become a god 
Watch people's heads a'roll 
A'roll, a' roll 

Just like the Pied Piper 
Led rats through the streets 
We dance like marionettes 
Swaying to the symphony of destruction

Acting like a robot 
Its metal brain corrodes 
You try to take its pulse 
Before the head explodes 
Explodes, explodes 

Just like the Pied Piper 
Led rats through the streets 
We dance like marionettes 
Swaying to the symphony 

Just like the Pied Piper 
Led rats through the streets 
We dance like marionettes 
Swaying to the symphony 
Swaying to the symphony Of destruction 

The earth starts to rumble 
World powers fall 
A'warring for the heavens 
A peaceful man stands tall 
Stands tall, stands tall 

Just like the Pied Piper 
Led rats through the streets 
We dance like marionettes 
Swaying to the symphony 

Just like the Pied Piper 
Led rats through the streets 
We dance like marionettes 
Swaying to the symphony 
Swaying to the symphony Of destruction

No comments:

Post a Comment