Tuesday, November 22, 2022

A Bit on the Rock Band Living Colour & Their 1988 Debut 'Vivid'



 

Wrote this blog entry about Living Colour and their debut album last year. But after running into an article about their debut album, "Vivid," which I really loved at the time (and still do), it seemed worth sharing here. 

Enjoy!


It was on May 3rd, 1988 - 34 years ago this past Tuesday, that the band Living Colour released their debut album, "Vivid." It included a few tracks that made it pretty big, including my personal two favorite tracks, which includes Open Letter (to a Landlord) and the song that proved to be far and away the biggest song the band would ever release: Cult of Personality. 

Even all of these years - hell, decades - later, I still pop that album in every now and then, and just give it a listen. My son enjoys it, as well.

Living Colour was an awesome band. I really enjoyed their first two albums. While they probably were never precisely my favorite band, they were definitely among the top ten, and possibly top five, on my list for a few years. 

After years of more or less forgetting about them, I enjoyed their fourth studio album, Collideøscope, which was released in 2003. There were some awesome tracks on that album, which came in the aftermath of September 11th, and had a moving, albeit an unconventional, tribute to a friend they had lost on that day, in one of the Twin Towers. But the album was also a rock tour de force, and a strong protest against the America of George W Bush. It was probably their most vocal album in terms of political activism. Indeed, a great album!

It was when the band toured in support of that album that I finally got to see them for the first time ever. It was at New York's Beacon Theater, and they were opening for King Crimson. What a show!

In any case, given the recent anniversary of their premiere album, as well as this article below, which is an appreciation of their second studio album, "Time's Up," which my brother got for me as a gift either for my birthday or Christmas (believe it was my birthday), which wound up being my second ever cd, and my first full album (technically, my first cd was a single of Aerosmth's "Other Side"). 







Take a look at the article by clicking on the link below:


Why you should definitely own Time’s Up by Living Colour By Greg Prato ( Classic Rock ) published 2 May 2022: 

https://www.loudersound.com/features/why-you-should-definitely-own-times-up-by-living-colour?fbclid=IwAR0-QP1OF2_XzmaOzj5UFw8We69MzcdMoJNyCMRrHQy6G0tzWUuhwAwDRNA 



Vivid Living Colour 1988 Living Colour Vivid 9.0 By Stuart Berman  GENRE: Rock LABEL: Epic REVIEWED: November 20, 2022:

Each Sunday, Pitchfork takes an in-depth look at a significant album from the past, and any record not in our archives is eligible. Today, we revisit a groundbreaking 1988 album, a crucial document in Black rock music with huge, brawny riffs and a complex socio-political message. 

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/living-colour-vivid/?fbclid=IwAR0YYyNobLYZztoBzxiReQUTRyUjFgjVGie1tnrYHwVJA_3_QljO9qFehZw

No comments:

Post a Comment