Monday, November 7, 2022

Brief Visit to Bound Brook





Earlier today, I had the occasion to stop and briefly visit this little park along the canal in historic Bound Brook, New Jersey.

When I was younger, the Revolutionary War was a source of tremendous fascination for me. I had heard about how New Jersey was the "Crossroads of Liberty," and how fully a third of the battle of the Revolutionary War were fought in New Jersey, including some very important and memorable ones, including the Battle of Monmouth (and Molly Pitcher's famous role during that particular battle), the Battle of Princeton, and Washington Crossing the Delaware. Also, Washington's Headquarters are in Morristown, and nearby is Jockey Hollow, where the vast majority of his Colonial Army stayed during that brutally cold winter, which was evidently far colder than the one at Valley Forge. 

In any case, once I got done with the business that brought me to Bound Brook, I decided to go to this park for a brief visit. It is quite near where we live, perhaps a fifteen or so minute drive. Yet it also seems that I always pass by here when my girlfriend when she and I go to celebrate the holidays and Thanksgiving and Easter with the Polish people, but we never actually stop here. Like, ever.

So today, on an unseasonably warm, Indian Summer day, with record hot temperatures, it felt like the ideal opportunity to change that once and for all, and to pay this historic place at least a brief visit. It seems that there is not much left here to remember that historic chapter by, other than these signs. Still, since I stopped and took pictures of them, it seemed worth sharing here, as they describe a bit about the chapter in history that played out here nearly two and a half centuries ago.

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment