Friday, March 3, 2023

Might Glow-in-the-Dark Trees Replace Regular Street Lights in the Future?

This is something that may become a possibility someday.

Now admittedly, my first reaction was skepticism. It felt like scientists once again dabbling in experiments that went against nature.

But then I began to think about how so many lights are on at all hours of the night. Whenever I drive down some main street fairly late at night - past when everything is closed - and see so many streetlights and lights within the stores and spaces still on, it depresses me. We know all about climate change and not wasting electricity, or power. Yet, we seem almost to go out of our way to waste it, for some reason. There are some stores that remain so well lit all night long whenever I pass on my way to or from my overnight work shift - I'm thinking in particular of an attorney office off of Route 206, for example, or a furniture store right off Route 23 - that it almost feels as if we are making a point of keeping lights on. This is especially true in some of the large office spaces where I have worked. Walk around there during non-business hours, and you will see many, many lights left on, as well as other things. Fans running, keeping nobody cool. Space heaters left on, keeping nobody warm, and in fact, serving as a fire hazard. It really is ridiculous.

So if scientists can invent something like this, which would add legitimate greenery and beauty to urban spaces, wouldn't it only be a plus? 

I think so. What do you think? 

Here is the link to the article that got me on this topic below:




Glow-in-the-dark trees could someday replace city street lights Sounds magical, but is it too good to be true? by Lana Bandoim, August 17, 2018:

https://theweek.com/articles/763908/glowinthedark-trees-could-someday-replace-city-street-lights

No comments:

Post a Comment