Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Pre-Cold War Prague Featured in INXS Video: "Never Tear Us Apart"



The band INXS reached the peak of their popularity during the days when I was in middle school and high school. I enjoyed them quite a bit, especially that album, "Kick." Still enjoy it after all of these years, as a matter of fact.

Well, back then, I mostly could only hear their songs by cassette tape. It was one of the many, many cassette tapes that I absolutely wore out from listening to it probably too much. However, I did see a video or two or three from them back then, particularly "Need You Tonight,"  "Devil Inside," and perhaps a clip or so from "New Sensation." But we did not have cable back then, so my reliance on Friday Night Videos as pretty much my one and only source of music videos limited me to ten songs per weeks, tops. That's if I got to see that show, because it was not always the case. 

However, Youtube changed everything. In this day and age, you can go back and see all of those videos and things that you missed back in the day, right? That's one of the many advantages of Youtibe. So after many, many years, I finally saw this video for one of INXS's most beautiful songs. 

And you know what? It's a beautiful video! It must have been made in either 1987 or 1988, back when the Cold War was still going on. This video was shot in Prague. Since by that point, relatively few Westerners had gotten to view images of the city, I believe that this may have been one of the first real glimpses that people on the western side of the East/West divide got of Prague. Indeed, it looks beautiful, and this was before tourism took over there. 

In any case, it seems like all three of my first posts for this first of March have been about music so far, in some way or another. Guess it's just one of those days, eh?

This is a great song, and again, the images of Prague before the end of the Cold War feel like they add something special to this one. So it certainly seemed like something worth sharing here.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment