Wednesday, May 10, 2023

The Subtle Brilliance of Ringo Starr's Drumming

 


This picture was taken, and recently cropped, by me. Taken from the Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band show in Worcester, Massachusetts, June 11, 2016






This picture was taken, and recently cropped, by me for the Ringo Starr In Conversation at Strands Bookstore - October 26, 2015


Sometimes, it seems to me that Ringo Starr gets a bad rap. People make fun of him, act like he's some sort of a joke. I am not sure why this is the case. It always puzzled me that people view him in such a dismissive manner.

Yet, the other Beatles actually saw him in a very different light, as well. They craved Ringo as a drummer and as an established musician before they finally acquired him. When he joined the band, they felt that he finally lent them the legitimacy that they had not fully had just yet. Shortly after he joined the band, they suddenly grew so popular that they essentially took over the world. In fact, I heard somewhere that it was Ringo who always got the wildest and loudest cheers whenever his image went up on the screens in those early footage video, such as with the Ed Sullivan Show.

To me, his drumming was always more than adequate, more than merely up to the task. The drumming in Come Together absolutely fascinated me from as early as I could remember, and still sounds distinctive, unique, and very original. In this video, you learn just how he gave the drumming for that song that incredible sound. The beauty truly is in the simplicity. What results!

In any case, this video is, I think, actually a promotional video. I am not trying to urge anyone to buy the video. But it does offer a glimpse on the specifics of Ringo's techniques, which I found fascinating as a Beatles fan. My guess is that others might get a deeper appreciation of the subtleties of Ringo's drumming after viewing this video, as well.

Enjoy!




The Genius Of Ringo Starr


No comments:

Post a Comment