Friday, January 31, 2020

Taking Another Short Break for the Weekend

Okay, I have grown a bit tired of politics again. It is so repetitive, and right now in the United States, it feels like it is also far from mature. Yes, there is a very immature streak that is running through far too many millions of Americans, and that feels specific to Americans right now. There is a seeming desire to be entertained, and this is not new. Yes, we have someone in the White House who used to be a celebrity, but we had that back in the 1980’s, as well. And Reagan was fixated with his image, with portraying the ideal American president and life, even while his policies actually undermined the country’s best interests. Still, people fell for it time after time back then, even through major scandals that could have undone that entire presidency, from the Savings and Loan Scandal to the Iran-Contra Affair.              

Reagan got away with it, and became known as the “Teflon President.” Clinton was said to have surpassed him for having gotten away with scandals even more seamlessly. As far as I am concerned, George W. Bush took it even one step further, with numerous corporate scandals, a war that he started based on lies, and even an economy that was virtually run to the ground. He should have been reviled, yet all that he suffered, frankly, were low approval ratings during his second term, which also happened to be his final term, of course. Within a few years, his approval ratings soared, proving just how stupid and forgetful Americans tend to be in general.              

Now, we have someone who makes all of that look like amateur work, because Trump seems to get away with everything. He makes a point of pushing the envelope more than anyone else ever has, and he keeps getting away with it. He should be impeached for his crimes, and yet again, it seems he is on the verge of getting away with it.              

It is sickening and tiresome, and beyond frustrating. It is maddening, and every now and then, I feel a need for a break, almost like a need to come up for air after swimming underwater for a little too long.             

So, this is my announcement: I will not post anything political – barring something truly shocking and unavoidable – until sometime next week, probably around mid-week I just need a break, and the Super Bowl always is good for offering that kind of a thing.              

This weekend, I will work, but only one job. I get off at 3pm on Sunday, and will not have to work again until Monday evening, so Super Bowl Sunday will be free. That is a relative rarity, as I usually have either worked during the big game, or immediately afterward, which meant too often leaving earlier than I wanted to, sometimes while the game was still going on. Last year, it was work of a different sort, but I did not even watch that Super Bowl, which was a first for me since I began watching the big game back in Super Bowl XVI.              

Not this year. I am off, and intend to enjoy the big game. I will get my son right after work, and then we will head down to Hillsborough. I will try to get some Buffalo wings and celery and carrot sticks, try to get some root beer and ice cram for floats, and perhaps some other things. Not the healthiest stuff, admittedly, but my son is young, and I am off that night and the next day, so we should both be able to recover, most likely.              

That will be where my focus will be for this weekend. This is a little leeway that I am giving myself, as I just want to be able to enjoy a relaxing weekend for a change.              

Enjoy the weekend yourself, whether or not you care about the big game or not, or whether or not the team you are pulling for wins or loses.              

That’s it for now.  

Go Chiefs!

4 comments: