Sunday, May 29, 2022

More Pictures From My Father's Various Facebook Accounts

Since my father's passing a couple of weeks ago, it seems that I have been visiting the few Facebook accounts that he still had and did not outright cancel. There are at least three that I have found, but it is not impossible that there may be others.

In perusing through those Facebook profiles, I encountered some pictures, as well as a couple of cartoons, that seemed like they would be worth sharing here.

Today, it seemed like it might be fitting to publish them here. And so, without further ado, here are some of the cartoons (including one that I believe was his), as well as a couple of pictures of him that I found, as well.

Enjoy!



This was a cartoon that my father posted, actually, as a profile picture for one of his accounts. At first glance, it might look like a peace symbol, which it is. But it is also a cartoon rendering of the Eiffel Tower, and became somewhat popular, and as a symbol of solidarity with the victims of the terrorist attacks in France some years ago, including the Charlie Hebdo attack, the day of the Bataclan attacks, and also the Nice truck attack. There were also some shocking, albeit much smaller in scale, anti-Semitic attacks. This seemed like a positive cartoon to share here.











This is the other cartoon, which again, I believe was one of my father's cartoons, although I cannot be sure at this time, and apologies to whoever did publish this if this cartoon belonged to someone else. My father, like most artists, signed his artwork normally. Yet on this cartoon, which he posted via photo scan, presumably, on one of his Facebook accounts, had no signing, one way or the other. Not sure why. But again, my assumption (possibly a wrong one) is that this was one that my father drew, and so I am working and publishing this on that assumption. 






One last cartoon here. This is obviously some dark humor, which seems to be a specialty with my family. The king (of France) is about to lose his head, quite literally, one last time. Yet, the king seems surprisingly jovial, and asks the jester to make him laugh just one last time. Dark or not, it made me laugh. 










This was one of the most recent pictures of my father that I know of, even though it was taken either in 2007 or 2008. There is a picture with him kneeling with my son, who was a toddler at the time. I believe that this was during one of the Dassault company picnics that we went to as a family, in Ringwood, New Jersey. My father was still in relatively decent health then, at least in comparison to what would soon follow. he walked, although with some difficulty. Still, he was in good enough shape that he played ping pong on this picnic, which I believe marked the last time that he ever played pin pong (which he really enjoyed). 





Yes, these two are one and the same picture, although I altered it and tried to improve it (above) with some cropping and adjustment tools. My father left this description below (in French), and so I will leave that here. What I will say is that my father, uncharacteristically, is smoking a pipe (likely my grandfather's on my mother's side). This picture was taken in Liberty, New York, and my brother is sitting on my father's lap, while I am staring wide-eyed at the camera, with my old Amazing Spider-Man pajamas.  This particular picture brings me back to my childhood because it was taken in Liberty while my brother and I were still young kids. Plus, the pipe and especially the chess pieces really take me back to those times, in that particular house in Liberty. 
Père et fils 1980



2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful way to honor Pop. Thank you, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Mom's post: thanks for posting these. And yes, that's definitely one of Pop's drawings, despite his uncharacteristically having forgotten to sign it.

    ReplyDelete