Friday, May 13, 2022

Pictures From the Boston Trip in August of 1995

Recently, I published a blog entry with the last batch of family pictures found in the old house in West Milford. Well those pictures were indeed published. However, there were just a few others, including some class pictures of my son from a few years ago, which I will publish soon. Maybe also a picture or two that I am not remembering at the moment.   

Also, there are some pictures that I once had believed to be simply lost and long gone. They are from a trip to New England that I took in the summer of 1995 with a friend and coworker of mine. We worked together at Steinbach's, a department store that no longer exists. It was my first real job, unless working with my father irregularly (he had his own house painting business) counts. But Steinbach's was a new experience, even though it was also minimum wage, and I made friends there. It was easier to make friends back then.   

Well, one of the friends I made was Juan, a tall, skinny kid from Colombia. We both worked in the men's department, and I ran into him and his brother - Carlos, if memory serves correctly - in the summer of 1995. That was more than half a year after I had stopped working there. Other than helping my father out with his house painting business, it was the first job that I worked. Granted, it was minimum wage, but I was young, and with a bunch of young people there, I found the job fun. Still have good memories of the place and those times to this day, in fact.     

Juan and I went up to Boston for the Patriots preseason game. We also went to Boston, and visited Boston Common. We ate at Cheers, and went up the John Hancock Tower. And, of course, we also went to that preseason game. It was a decent little trip, over the course of a weekend. We were young, and I had some free time before school started up again in the fall.    

Thought that these pictures were long gone. Lost track of the Bledsoe jersey a long time ago, and it was funny to see it again, even if just in this picture. And it's still kind of a trip to see me so much younger, and thinner, and with hair.   

Ah, good times.   

So anyway, this was one of the first trips that I took to Boston and/or the greater Boston area. My family went back in 1989, but that ended abruptly, and not so well. I also went to the New England Environmental Conference in the spring of 1994 and 1995 at Tufts University, although there was limited free time to do anything in terms of exploring in Boston itself. However, I had grown a bit acquainted with Boston as a city, and this trip in the summer of 1995 was the first time that I went of my own accord, and fully was in control of what we visited and did. 

Glad to see these pictures after all of these years. Good pictures, and good memories evoked by them. 

Enjoy!








This is a picture of me from the trip to Boston that I took, obviously, in the summer of 1995. Here I am standing in front of Cheer's, the bar that inspired the hit television show that was very popular in the eighties and the early nineties. We ate there either just before or just after this. I am wearing the Drew Bledsoe New England Patriots jersey, which is not surprising, since we were there for a preseason game between the Patriots and the Vikings. August of 1995. 



 

This is a picture of Juan in front of Cheers.



Not sure why we took this particular picture. This is not where we stayed. Think that we stayed in the nearby suburb of Framingham. 



A view of Boston from the observation deck of the John Hancock Tower, I believe it was called. Think this was the tallest building in Boston (might still be, for that matter).


No comments:

Post a Comment