Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Update on NBA & NHL Playoffs

NHL


Here’s where I usually stand in regards to the NHL playoffs these days:  

I pull for Canadian teams, first and foremost. The NHL has made many mistakes in recent decades, but none are as egregious as their treatment towards Canadian fans, who have traditionally been the most loyal and passionate fans. After all, it was Canada that created the sport and, for a long time, it was Canada that dominated the sport. So yes, I pull for a Canadian team – any Canadian team, really – to finally break the hex and not only reach the Stanley Cup Finals, but to win it and hoist the Cup, as well. It has been 29 years since the last time that a team north fo the border won the Stanley Cup, and on top of everything else that has happened, with northern cities – especially Canadian cities – losing their NHL franchises, this seems especially unfair, and like salt on a festering wound. Plus, I still feel that the Calgary Flames in particular were cheated of a Stanley Cup championship, which they legitimately won in 2004, but was taken from them in a controversial decision that overturned an apparently series-clinching goal.  

After that, I usually pull for one of the original six teams. Being a fan of history and traditions, there is something to be said for the franchises that have enjoyed the most history in the league to enjoy success in the modern age. To date in my lifetime, I have seen five of the "Original Six" get to hoist the Stanley Cup, and in fact, I saw three of them win it multiple times (the Canadiens, the Blackhawks, and the Red Wings). The Rangers won it in 1994 and the Bruins in 2011 (although I was pulling for Vancouver in that series, admittedly). The Toronto Maple Leafs are left as the last in this group not to have managed to win a Cup in my lifetime. But I would love to see them change that. 

Now admittedly, I used to dislike the Rangers, or at least to have mixed feelings about them, being more of a Devils fan. However, my feelings have changed since 1994, with numerous norther, cold weather markets losing their teams (Quebec, Winnipeg, Minnesota, and Hartford) and the success of warm weather teams making deep runs (the Panthers, the Hurricanes, the Ducks, the Golden Knights and, of course, the Lightning, who have won it several times now). So while the Rangers are hardly my favorite team, I certainly do not find myself pulling against them nearly as often, or nearly as strongly, as I used to. For example, I am a bit bummed out that they are getting their asses kicked against the Penguins in these playoffs. 

Then, I tend to pull for norther, cold weather city teams, even if they are not particularly old or historic. For example, I like the Minnesota Wild and would not mind seeing them defeat the St. Louis Blues to advance. But there are some exceptions. I used to like the Pittsburgh Penguins, at least to some extent, back in the Mario Lemieux days. However, they have grown a bit tiresome since for me, as I have now seen them win the Stanley Cup five times. That is tied with the Edmonton Oilers for the most times I have seen any franchise win the Stanley Cup. And I am not in any particular rush to see them win it again. 

After that, inasmuch as I care at all about the remaining teams, I tend to root for any team playing against certain others, who I care not at all for. Right now, that is especially true for Tampa Bay and Las Vegas. But I would be a de facto fan of anyone playing against Anaheim, or Carolina, or Nashville, or Phoenix. Some exceptions would be the Los Angeles Kings, the Dallas Stars, and the Florida Panthers, the latter of which I have no strong feelings about, one way or the other.  

Now as for the update, Colorado knocked off Nashville in a sweep last evening, and now advance to the second round. The Flames defeated Dallas in a surprisingly dominant display, 4-1, to tie that series at 2-2. The Oilers will host the Kings in Game 5 tonight, with that series also all tied up going into that game. Also, the Wild will host the Blues in Game 5 tonight, with that series also tied up, 2-2.

In the East, the Penguins simply thrashed the Rangers, 7-2. They are now winning that series, 3 games to 1. Would love to see the Rangers come back in that one, but it does not feel like they will. The Florida Panthers had a big comeback win in the final moments against Washington, first forcing overtime, then winning in OT. They managed to tie that series up in the process, and will host Game 5. On Sunday, the Lightning really crushed the Maple Leafs, 7-3, to tie the series up. Prior to that, the Lightning had been struggling surprisingly through this series. I still hope that the Maple Leafs can pull this one off. Finally, the Bruins won both of their home games to tie the series up against the Hurricanes, although that series now returns to Carolina for Game 5. 





NBA


In the NBA playoffs, all but one of the series are tied up at 2-2. The 76ers and the Heat resume their series tonight in Miami, with the winner taking a 3-2 series lead. Ditto out west, when the Mavericks visit the Suns in Phoenix. 

Last night, the Celtics got a huge road win in Milwaukee against the defending champions to tie that series up. Boston will host Game 5, with the winner obviously taking the lead in that series.

The only series that looks lopsided and decisive so far in the NBA right now is out west, where the Golden State Warriors are dominating the Memphis Grizzlies, 3 games to 1. The Warriors will visit Nashville tomorrow night, and they would close out the series and advance to the Conference Finals if they manage to win that game. 

2 comments:

  1. I too am rooting for the Canadian teams in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. As for the NBA, I'd actually like to see Phoenix win it all and feel they have a real shot, even if they're having a tough time against Dallas and figure to have an even tougher time against Golden State, their likely opponent in the event they advance to the Conference Finals. I predict the Finals will be won by the Western Conference team, even if the Eastern Conference champion (probably Milwaukee or Miami) isn't to be taken lightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the Phoenix Suns finally win an NBA title, either. I still remember how good they were in 1993, but fell short against the Bulls. Not that they were alone, since everyone who came against the Bulls with a fully healthy and season ready MJ basically fell short against them. Then, that tough loss in last year's NBA Finals. It would indeed be nice for them to win it all this year, once and for all, and get that monkey off their backs. They ave had some great teams, and it is almost surprising that they never did manage to win a title. From the Charles Barkley era in the first half of the nineties, when they were perennial contenders, to the Steve Nash era, and now this team with Chris Paul. Yeah, I really do hope that they finally get it, once and for all.

      Delete