Tuesday, September 13, 2022

The Band Feud Between Guns N' Roses & Faith No More in 1992




Prior to 1992, my brother and I had been to concerts. Mostly, though, they were shows that my father wanted to see, and took us along. For the most part, these were good experiences. We saw a classical music concert in New York City, and we saw some other big name French artists, particularly Yves Montand and Jean Jacques Goldman. We also saw Lo Jai, a small French folk band who gave a free show at a small mall or something very near the World Trade Center (I don't specifically remember where it was or what the building was called, but I do remember it being right by the old Twin Towers. That was for the bicentennial of the French Revolution in 1989, and a whole bunch of French artists seemed to perform in New York for that.

But in the summer of 1992, my brother and I went to our first really big concert of our own accord. That was the infamous Metallica/Guns 'N Roses tour. We were both happy to see GNR, I think, but mostly, we were there to see Metallica. They had been my favorite band for many years, and they probably were pretty close to that with my brother, as well. But that was not true for most of the people there. At the time, GNR were the biggest band in the world. Most fans were there to see them.

There was another band on the bill that day. That was Faith No More. Back in late 1990/early 1991, I was listening to their album, Epic, all of the time. Loved that album, especially the first two songs. Still do, frankly. 

It's funny how you learn some things as time passes. I found out about some of the behind the scenes tensions between Metallica and GNR some years later. It seemed that there were considerable tensions between GNR and a lot of bands back in those days. They had problems with not only Metallica, but also Poison and Nirvana. Chris Cornell, who's band Soundgarden opened for them in some shows (particularly in Europe, also had some problems with them. Cornell once summed up his biggest problem with GNR, and particularly frontman Axl Rose, by saying that not every band or rock star needed to run around with a fistful of $100 bills, like Rose did.

Well as it turns out, GNR also had problems with Faith No More, the band that my brother and I saw open up for both Metallica and Guns 'N Roses. 

This video sums up that history. Fascinating stuff. Wasn't even aware of this back in 1992, when we actually attended the concert and were huge fans of some of these bands. 

Take a look, and see for yourself. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment