Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Concert Review: The Red Hot Chili Peppers W/ The Strokes at MetLife Stadium, Aug 17 2022



Yes, my son and I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers at MetLife Stadium last month, about a week before we left for vacation. They were the main act on that day, with Thundercat and The Strokes serving to open the day for them. 

Thundercat was quite decent, and highly energetic. He had evidently been a member of a band which I liked back in the day: Suicidal Tendencies. I had not known that. But his music these days is very different from the sound of that band. It was an enjoyable set.

I had already seen The Strokes once, as the main featured act at Little Steven's Garage concert at Randall's Island back in 2004. They have some good music, although what I remember from that show was that the lead singer, Julian Casablancas, had seemed completely plastered, to the point where it actually detracted from the show. They were solid on this night, however.

Then, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This also was not the first time that I had seen them. The previous time, however, had been a very memorable show. Originally, it was supposed to have taken place at Madison Square Garden on December of 1995. But it was pushed back to February 9th instead. It was an awesome show, with Silverchair opening, and with Iggy Pop making a special guest appearance. Also, it was aired on MTV, although there are evidently two different versions of that show floating around. Great memories. 

Well, they were great again on this night, too. It was a very different show, of course. Back in 1996, Dave Navarro had been their guitarist, and they were supporting the Red Hot Minute album, which was not so popular or well-received. I liked the album, although admittedly, found it (and still kind of find it) a bit depressing to listen to.

Anyway, this was the first time that I saw them with John Frusciante, the guitarist who I always associated with the Peppers. And he was indeed solid. My son also seemed to enjoy it. 

If there were any complains on my end, it is that they did not seem to do much from the earlier part of their careers. They played two songs from my favorite album, Blood Sugar Sex Magic. They did another one from the relatively early nineties, Soul to Squeeze. And that was about it for their early material, which is my favorite from this band.  

In any case, it was nice to finally see the Chili Peppers again, after all of this time. That previous show was more than a quarter of a century ago, after all! So I was glad to see them. And the crowd seemed to really love the newer material, presumably more than the older material. So the band gave them what they probably wanted. A sign of the times. Perhaps a sign of my age that I generally prefer their older stuff. 

So I will add the setlist that they played on that night, as well as share some pictures that I took from the show that night (all three sets from each band that performed).

Enjoy!



AUG 17 2022 Red Hot Chili Peppers Setlist at MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ, USA  Tour: 2022-23 Global Stadium Tour 

Intro Jam 
Can't Stop 
Dani California  
Scar Tissue 
Here Ever After 
Charlie  
Snow ((Hey Oh)) 
These Are the Ways 
Soul to Squeeze 
Right on Time (preceded by a tease of "… more ) 
Parallel Universe Play Video 
Otherside  
The Heavy Wing  
Black Summer  
Californication 
Give It Away

Encore: 
Under the Bridge (Preceded by a tease of “50… more )  
By the Way

Setlist taken from: 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/red-hot-chili-peppers/2022/metlife-stadium-east-rutherford-nj-43b3d78f.html



















 












































































No comments:

Post a Comment