Thursday, December 15, 2022

Iggy Pop Has Not Slowed Down Much Despite Advancing Age

Probably the most energetic musician/performer who I ever saw - and surely the most chaotic and anarchic - would be Iggy Pop. I saw him a few times, actually. Once, as a special guest at a Red Hot Chili Peppers show at Madison Square Garden back in 1996. Then with my brother at Jones Beach in 2003. Finally, at Little Steven's Underground Garage in 2004. And again, every single time, he was astonishing in terms of his pure energy, and the chaos.

Well, he evidently has not slowed down much, despite his advancing years. In this article, which I happened to run into a few days ago, Iggy Pop reveals that he had assumed - wrongly, evidently - that things would slow down for him once he reached the age of 65. He admits that this just has not been the case to this point in time.

If you want to find out more, click on the link below for more on the article:



Iggy Pop: “I assumed things would quiet down once I turned 65. That hasn’t been the case” On his upcoming album ‘Every Loser’, the Godfather of Punk comes back swinging with the same primitive energy he used to change music forever  By Erica Campbell 2nd December 2022

https://www.nme.com/big-reads/iggy-pop-cover-interview-2022-every-loser-3358737?fbclid=IwAR0F4acSn28FkSH4eu4w0KXNb2sq-jBjSa4uCArLONSJ033vePN7pvWhOdI

2 comments:

  1. I'll probably check out bits of this new album on YouTube eventually. I've actually enjoyed some of his stuff from the last twenty years or so, even if overall I prefer his work with the Stooges and his earlier solo career. I'm really glad we got to see him in 2003 and 2004. I would have really regretted if I'd never taken advantage of a chance to go see him perform live. And he's more versatile than a lot of people might suspect. I can't think of too many big-name musicians who feel equally comfortable performing with hard rock acts like Metallica, RHCP, Green Day or Pearl Jam as they do collaborating with Françoise Hardy or singing a cover of Joe Dassin's "Et si tu n'existais pas".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was not even aware of those two relatively obscure things that he did, which you mentioned. But I am also glad that we got to see him. He was definitely one of the most unique and interesting musicians that I have ever seen on stage, and surely the most energetic by far.

      Delete