Friday, August 14, 2026

A Brief Visit to Horseheads, New York

A beautiful, cloudy sky above a lush green farm field, with the surrounding hills in the distance.


So the drive to my mom's place usually takes well over four hours.  That can be exhausting. Every now and then, I take some breaks along the way. 

One of the stops yesterday was in the town of Horseheads. It is not a big or well-known town, although it is nonetheless one of the most notable towns in this region of New York, in what is known as the Southern Tier. 

I went to the Arnot Mall. There was an old-style music store (Squatch Den Records for anyone interested) whch still sells music cd's and lp's, as well as a few other things, like comics. I had been meaning to go there, because those kinds of record stores are quite rare in New Jersey. Sometimes, I like to go to a store like this, which has a vintage feel, bringing me back to, say, the 1990's. And yes, for the first time in I don't even know how long, I got some albums. Not many, but a few cd's as well as an lp. 

Walking around the rest of the mall felt like stepping back to my childhood in the 1980's or walking on a set for Stranger Things. It definitely had the feel of something which I had not seen in a long time. Even the way the mall was set up felt more like something from the 1980's or at least the 1990's, rather than the 2020's.

In another part of town, there was the exterior facade of an old, clearly abandoned Ames store. The sign also was still there, advertising a store which has not existed in something like two full decades now. That also took me back.

All of this felt like a bit of nostalgia. Also, it seemed like something worth sharing here, in case anyone else also has an urge for nostalgia of this sort.

How often do you see these kinds of throwbacks to a bygone era. Unless you live in Horseheads, of course, in which case you can see it any day you want to.

Below are some pictures which I took.

Enjoy.




An abandoned Ames store in one part of Horseheads.




The exterior facade of an old Sears store at one end of the mall. This really felt like a blast from the past, as they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment