Thursday, August 13, 2026

Concert Review: Public Enemy at MetLife Stadium - August 12, 2026


Public Enemy is one band whom I have wanted to see for a long time now. I came close when they did a show in Philadelphia a few years ago, although I ultimately did not go to that one. But I was still hoping for the opportunity at some point.

Well, yesterday, I finally saw this legendary rap group. A friend of mine had been interested in going to a show together for some time. And when I saw that Public Enemy would be opening for Guns 'n Roses at MetLife Stadium, it seemed like maybe it was time to finally see this legendary musical act.

Surely, I am not the only one who really first learned of Public Enemy with Spike Lee's film, "Do the Right Thing." But everyone remembers "Fight the Power," which actually became quite a huge hit. Arguably, it is still the song which they are best known for.

Now, Public Enemy always impressed me with their lyrical content. While they can be controversial at time, I appreciated their message, generally speaking. That was true of "Fight the Power" as well as many of their other songs. My brother ended up getting "Apocalypse '91: The Enemy Strikes Black," which included the famous collaboration with Anthrax on "Bring Da Noise." It was one of the albums I listened to the most in the early nineties. 

It seemed to me that Public Enemy kind of disappeared for a while there. Not all tat dissimilar to the band they were opening for last night, for that matter. Sometimes, these things happen.

But they have been back and touring again in recent years. That included an opening stint with Guns 'n Roses through some cities in Europe and North America. So I finally got my chance to see this legendary band live. 

They were different than their albums. I recognized some songs, but only with difficulty. It sounded considerably different than any of the versions which I was familiar with.

Chuck D took some time to thank GNR, who he said were consummate professionals and a joy to work with. 

At the end of the show, Flavor Flav took some time to declare that he hated racists, and that we are all one: a human race. He had also taken some time earlier in the set to say hello to some family members who were in attendance. Remember, Public Enemy is a local band, coming from New York City. So this was kind of their home gig.

Anyway, I enjoyed finally seeing them. And to that end, it seemed appropriate to share some of the pictures I took from the show here.

Enjoy.



Below is the setlist from last night's show taken from Setlist.fm:

Aug 12 2026 Public Enemy Setlist at MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ, USA 

Setlist: 

Show 'Em Whatcha Got 

Harder Than You Think 

Can't Truss It 

She Watch Channel Zero?! 

Confusion (Here Come the Drums) 

Shut 'Em Down 

Welcome to the Terrordome 

He Got Game 

Night of the Living Baseheads 

Rebel Without a Pause  

Black Is Back  

911 Is a Joke 

State of the Union (STFU) 

The Hits Just Keep On Comin 

Bring the Noise 

Walk This Way (Aerosmith cover) (with DMC) 

Fight the Power 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/public-enemy/2026/metlife-stadium-east-rutherford-nj-734c4e49.html

Public Enemy Concert Setlist at MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford on August 12, 2026 | setlist.fm



































No comments:

Post a Comment