Thursday, August 27, 2026

Horror in Nepal

 


I was always fascinated by the country of Nepal since I was a kid. My grandfather had a stamp collection, and some of the most beautiful and unique stamps were from Nepal. Also, I was always fascinated with flags, and Nepal's flag is one of the most unique. 

As an adult, my fascination only grew. After all, I came to love mountains, and in few places in the world are mountains as comparably tall as they are in Nepal. 

Yet it seems like whenever I mention Nepal here in this blog, it is because of bad news. 

Yesterday, there was a massive, horrific flash flood unlike anything that I have ever seen or heard of before, with maybe the exception of the aftermath of a volcano erupting. The waves from the torrent went incredibly high and traveled very fast. Many victims never had a chance. 

The death toll keeps rising. Watching the news, it just keeps going up and up. Well over one thousand are missing. With some of the video footage of how quickly and violently this flash flood came, and without apparent warning, it is difficult to imagine that the death toll will do anything but rise, and dramatically, at that.

Like most people, I was shocked and horrified to see the video footage emerging from Nepal. My heart goes out to the victims and their families, and to the devastated regions impacted by the flood. 

Just awful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment