Sunday, March 6, 2022

Comedy Break: Donahue: Exploited Women - Saturday Night Live



Okay, another break from the situation in Ukraine and Russia's invasion for a moment of humor. 

I found this clip recently on Youtube. It was an SNL skit poking fun at the Donahue Show (remember that?) from around the late eighties or early nineties. It still makes me laugh. Phil Hartman gets the voice right, and his exaggerated mannerisms are almost perfect. 

In any case, this made me laugh. Hopefully, it might just put a smile on your face, especially if you remember the Donahue Show, and know what they are making fun of here.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I really miss this era of SNL. Phil Hartman was one of the funniest cast members the show ever had – such a great talent, gone much too soon under extremely unfortunate circumstances. And Jan Hooks was great, as was Kevin Nealon, who of course plays the obnoxious and abusive guy towards the back of the audience.

    As for Phil Donahue, I actually used to like his show, and felt it was unfortunate that it was taken off the air. As I recall, he had a sense of humor about himself, and undoubtedly laughed when he saw this (which I'm guessing he did).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. I think that this was the best SNL era. But fans of a different generation often prefer their own. I have heard some suggest that the earlier era was funnier, although I never found it to be the case. Likely, many feel that what came next was the best era. It's all subjective.

      Delete
  2. True, it's very subjective. And it's not like I haven't enjoyed the work of any cast members from the last two decades. Will Ferrell has definitely been known to crack me up, and in some cases to almost singlehandedly redeem an otherwise forgettable sketch. Bill Hader can be a pisser – check out "Puppet Class with Seth McFarlane - SNL" if you haven't already. And I remember us both cracking up at Will Forte's "Tim Calhoun" character – a socially awkward train wreck lacking any charisma or people skills, who's running for office and whose entire "platform" consists of off-the-charts bizarre ideas. There are even a couple current cast members who at least occasionally make me laugh. But when I apply the "hit and miss" cliché to this show, I find that the hits have become few and far between.

    ReplyDelete