Thursday, March 31, 2022

Elton John Concert Review - March 2, 2022 at Barclay Center in Brooklyn, New York, New York







Okay, so I recently posted show reviews for the Foo Fighters and Genesis that were literally months overdue. So before Elton John makes headlines, I figured it would be a good time to post a review of the show my son and I went to of his. It was much more recent than the other two. In fact, it happened earlier this month! So at least now, this time, I'm in the ballpark.

This was one of a number of shows that was supposed to have taken place back in 2020, but which kept getting pushed back because of the coronavirus pandemic. In fact, I first got these tickets back in September of 2019, and so for now, this qualifies as the longest span of time for me between purchasing the tickets and actually seeing the event. That said, it likely will be surpassed by some of the other concerts that I obtained tickets for more or less at that time, and which also kept getting pushed back because of the pandemic.

Yes, this show was repeatedly pushed back, if memory serves correctly, a few months, than to the next year (2021), and finally to this date in early March of this year. Finally, it actually happened, and my son and I had a good time. Elton John was yet another legendary musician who I made a point of taking my son to see while the opportunity was there. After all, the Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour is Elton's final tour in a very storied musical career that spans over half a century.

Ironically, I cannot specifically remember when or how I got into Elton's music. I do remember getting Elton John's Greatest Hits on cassette tape from that old Alexander's store out on Route 17 in Paramus. People form northern New Jersey will remember that store for the famous huge painting that was on the side of the building, and was visible from afar. At some point, I became familiar with most of his music, and enjoyed it. My friend was a huge fan of Billy Joel and, in the summer of 1994, we got tickets to see Billy Joel and Elton John the first time that they ever toured together. We would sneak into the final minutes of another of their shows (we were able to do that in those days), and we would see Elton specifically again in 1998 at MSG. But I had not seen him since then, so it was time. 

I was worried about the commute to the Barclay Center in Brooklyn. Don’t get me wrong: I like going to Brooklyn, even though I have not visited it nearly often enough. But pretty much each time that I have, it was enjoyable. This was very much the same, and as always, I promised myself that there would be visits here in the not too distant future.  

One thing that I liked was there was a free photograph opportunity with an Elton background prominently displayed. I heard someone on line sarcastically asking how much they could expect it to cost for them to send it, and he estimated that it would be around $100. Admittedly, I had the same kind of skepticism, expecting this to be ridiculously priced. But it wound up being free. Or rather, it wound up being part of the ticket price, which means it was already paid for. So that was a pleasant little surprise. Here are the pictures that my son and I took while there: 

The concert itself started pretty much at the time it was supposed to. By five or so after the hour, Elton John was on stage and performing.  

The show lasted a good couple of hours. Mostly, of course, it was a slew of hits spanning his entire career, which goes over half a century! That was to be expected, of course. It made for an enjoyable evening.



MAR 2 2022 Elton John Setlist at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY, USA  Tour: Farewell Yellow Brick Road World Tour Tour statistics Add setlist  

SETLIST    

Bennie and the Jets 

Philadelphia Freedom 

I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues 

Border Song 

Tiny Dancer 

Have Mercy on the Criminal  

Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long, Long Time) 

Take Me to the Pilot 

Someone Saved My Life Tonight 

Levon  

Candle in the Wind 

Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

Burn Down the Mission 

Sad Songs (Say So Much) 

Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me 

The Bitch Is Back 

I'm Still Standing  

Crocodile Rock 

Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting 

Encore: 

Cold Heart

Your Song P

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 


Taken from: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elton-john/2022/barclays-center-brooklyn-ny-6389ae8f.html













































4 comments:

  1. You guys look good behind a keyboard . . .!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Would have loved to have gotten him piano lessons back in the day.

      Delete
  2. Glad you guys got to see that show. Nice to see you wearing the DePaul shirt. Were those "E" signs distributed as a nod to Elton John's first initial, or do you just have an affinity for that letter I wasn't aware of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the concert tour program. And yes, it would stand for Elton. It's a yellow brick backdrop, fittingly.

      Delete