Saturday, March 26, 2022

Foo Fighters Concert Review

  



After learning about the death of Taylor Hawkins this morning, I looked for my show review for the Foo Fighters show that my son and I attended last year. And it was nowhere to be found. Nothing published, and nothing saved for future publication.

For some reason, I had simply forgotten to do anything with it, which is unlike me. Normally, I will at least put something in, usually at least pictures and the setlist, and some of my thoughts. This time...nothing.

So today, in light of the passing of their drummer, it seemed like a good time to remedy that.

Once again, sadly, I find myself thankful that I somehow insisted to myself on getting tickets so that my son and I could see the Foo Fighters. Those who know me, or keep up with my blog, know that I have made a point of trying to take him to see as many major musical acts as possible, particularly older ones. As it happens, I took him to see some artists just in the nick of time, unbeknownst to anyone at the time. We saw Chris Cornell with Temple of the Dog at Madison Square Garden about six months and change before he died. We saw the Rolling Stones in August of 2019, and drummer Charlie Watts died a couple of years later. And now, without the slightest notion that it might happen, we saw the Foo Fighters about six months before Taylor Hawkins died.

This was not the first time that I had seen the Foo Fighters. The first time had actually been back in October of 1997, when they were still a young band, and just really getting huge with the release of The Color and the Shape, their second studio album. I remember the first album, which I had gotten back in 1995 and enjoyed. But that second album really raised them to another level entirely.

Then, I would not see them again as a band until this show, nearly a quarter of a century later. Now, I did see a couple of members of the band, Dave Grohl and Pat Smear specifically, at the 12/12/12 concert for Hurricane Sandy relief back in December of 2012. However, that was not exactly a Foo Fighters gig, as not all of the members were there and, also, they performed just a few songs. Mostly, that was more of a reunion of former members of Nirvana than a Foo Fighters show, although it was also known as "Sirvana," since Paul McCartney was the singer. 

In any case, I had come close to getting tickets before, but had not actually committed. Somehow, last year, it felt like it was time to commit. So finally, I went ahead and got tickets. 

Not surprisingly, it was a great show. I was happy to see them, and especially happy my son did, as well. It was a great memory, although the band came on a couple of hours late, due to a storm that kept their flight grounded. Nevertheless, they got a decent amount of music in, and we were able to enjoy the show.

Here was the setlist and, below that, pictures from the show. The first pictures were of the drive to the show, because it was foggy, and the scenery looked dramatic. There was this incredible sunset, and the sky almost looked as expansive as it had during our trips out west. Finally, there was the show itself, although admittedly, the pictures did not come out all that great.

Still, they are included here. Enjoy!

Foo Fighters set list - Sept. 15, 2021

Times Like These  

The Pretender  Learn to Fly  

No Son of Mine  

The Sky is a Neighborhood  

Shame Shame  

Breakout  

My Hero  

These Days  

Walk  

You Should Be Dancing (Bee Gees cover)   

Band member solos + Blitzkrieg Bop snippet  

Somebody to Love (Queen cover)  

All My Life  

This Is a Call  

Best of You  

Everlong


















No comments:

Post a Comment