Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Sandy Hook Beach - July 11, 2022





Yes, my son and I took our annual trip to the beach yesterday. 

Funnily enough, we realized that this was the first trip to the beach - any beach - that we had taken since we went to an actual Florida Beach (Pensacola Beach) last August, during our annual big trip together. That was only for a few hours, yet it was a thrill to actually not only make it to Florida, which neither of us had done before then, but to see and experience a real Florida beach, complete with hotels and a pier and viewings of some dolphins. It was only for a morning (my ex, his mom, was worried because Florida led the nation in Covid-19 cases at the time, and did not want us to have any kind of lengthy stay there), yet it was a lot of fun, and some great memories.

Well, we went back to the beach yesterday, although this one was part of the Jersey Shore. There was also a sign that said No Swimming, which I did not se until we were leaving. And yes, admittedly, I did swim a little bit. 

It was fun. Sandy Hook is likely the beach experience that I have gone to the most. From a high school class trip there during the final months of my senior year, to a beach party with my next school, Bergen Community College, about one year later, to a few other visits in the almost three decades since then, I have always enjoyed going there. No, there's no boardwalk, that's true. But there also are no houses and private property lining the beach. No tacky places with a carnival atmosphere, actively detracting from the majesty of the ocean and the beach and the natural splendor that these offer. Also, Sandy Hook is the only beach I know of what offers a view of the Manhattan skyline, although it is admittedly a distant view. If you look carefully at some of these pictures of the beach, you can see the outline of the Manhattan skyline in the distance. 

A nice experience. Here are some pictures that I took of our day at Sandy Hook Beach yesterday.

Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment