Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Back From Our Midwestern/ Western Trip




Yes, we're back.

Our return flight was early on Saturday morning, September 2nd. Surprisingly, it landed maybe half and hour earlier than it was originally expected to. It had been stated that we would arrive more or less at 11:10 in the morning, EST. Instead, we arrived at maybe around 10:30 in the morning. So we got a little bit more of the day than we had originally planned for. 

Nice.

Barely after we even got out of the gate after the flight, when we were still in the secured zone, I received a text. My original thought might be - probably hoped it would be - from my girlfriend welcoming me back, or perhaps from my ex, letting us know where she was and where to meet. Instead, it was my supervisor for the weekend job, asking if I would show up for tomorrow's shift like normal.

Welcome back to Jersey, huh? Nice to be missed...I guess?

However, it would still be a busy morning. We were to meet my ex, who was picking us up at Newark Airport. Then, we would head to my job, where my car was parked. After that, we would go our separate ways. My ex would take my son, where he would later meet his friends and would, apparently, get a new haircut for the first day of school, this Tuesday. he will be a senior in high school for this upcoming academic year.

Unreal.

Meanwhile, I returned back home to Hillsborough, where my girlfriend was waiting. She was in the middle of cooking, and expecting me sometime after 1 or 1:30, more or less. But I arrived probably between 12:15 and 12:30. 

She was happy to see me. 

During the last few days of the trip, she had texted me and asked if we could pick up some lamps she had liked and found on the internet on Saturday. So I said sure. And so, after eating, we did exactly that. The lamps, however, were cracked, so we wound up not taking them.

We headed back home, and that was when the fatigue really hit me. Hit me hard. I had not slept particularly well during the trip. But if memory serves correctly, I had hardly reached, let alone exceeded, maybe about five hours of sleep for the better part of a week now. So I had this general fatigue that seemed to follow me around, making me feel worn down. Now, my eyelids grew heavy, and while watching television, I began to nod off. She told me to go to bed, and so I did.

Now, as I write this on Saturday evening, I am about to shower and get ready for work. Hard to believe that the trip is now over, and it's right back to the grind. Yet, that is the case.

So I will get going now. But before that, it felt fitting to try and publish in this blog entry some of my favorite pictures from this still very recent trip.

Here they are. Enjoy!



Badlands National Park, South Dakota:






















Kansas City, Missouri:











Des Moines, capital of Iowa:











Pierre, the capital of South Dakota:













Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer, South Dakota:










Flame of Wisdom, Mitchell, South Dakota:










Dignity of Earth and Sky Statue, Chamberlain, South Dakota






The Missouri River, South Dakota:








Lewis and Clark Trail Sign:






Chimney Rock, Nebraska:













Scotts Bluff National Monument, Nebraska:












The Devils Towers, Wyoming:















The Bighorn Mountains (eastern edge of the Rockies):





















Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument, Montana:

















The Missouri River in Montana:











Regina, Saskatchewan:
















Winnipeg, Manitoba:
















Holland, Manitoba:












International Peace Garden between Boissevain, Manitoba, and Dunseith, North Dakota:



















Minneapolis, Minnesota:











Peavey Plaza, Minneapolis:





No comments:

Post a Comment