Saturday, September 2, 2023

Iowa State Capitol Building, Des Moines

Iowa is one of those places that most people think of as wholesome. It is right in the middle of the country, and a part of the "breadbasket of America. "

There are two people whom I know from here.  One was my 8th grade history teacher.  The other is noted writer Bill Bryson, best known for "A Walk in the Woods. "

In both cases, whenever Iowa was discussed, it was done so as if it represented more noble,  innocent,  and idyllic times. Indeed, it feels like maybe there is some truth to that.

Also, while I do not recall having seen anything in my grandfather's stamp collection about Des Moines,  or even Iowa (nothing that left a lasting impression,  anyway), there were encyclopedias and some old travel books.  Remember, I grew up in an age before the internet, and we relied much more on things like that. And what I read about Iowa and Des Moines seemed to confirm this impression of the state,  and it's capital city, as a largely small,  accessible place. So I mostly assumed  - wrongly,  I might add - that it was more or less the same way now. 

That may be true for the rural areas of Iowa,  which is of course the majority of the state,  but it seems no longer true for Des Moines,  specifically. It was far different, and much seedier in certain respects, than what I had expected or imagined. 

Still, it does retain some of that feel from an earlier time. You can see and sense it,  in the way that it looks and feels. It almost feels like an ode to another era, and another version of the state and country. 

Yes, this was different from what I had expected. Yet, there remained traces of that earlier version of Des Moines that I had heard and read about. That is particularly true for what is easily the most famous and even iconic symbol of the city: the State Capitol Building. 

That was the one thing that stuck in my mind. I knew the State Capitol Building. It was modeled on the Hotel  des Invalides in Paris,  where Napoleon Bonaparte is buried. Whenever you look at it, you can see the resemblance clearly. 

That was our first stop. Even then,  though, it was not what I had expected. First of all, there were a ton of people there, but all in one section. I had assumed  - wrongly again  - that it must be some sort of a protest. In fact,  it was a concert. Curious, I asked someone wh was performing. It was Sean Feucht. 

Not familiar with the name, I ventured closer.  Then I heard a number of references to Jesus and God, and the picture became clearer. It also was then that I noticed people raising their arms and closing their eyes, as if strongly moved by a spirit. Which I suppose they were. 

Have you ever found yourself in the middle of something, and then gotten the sense that you truly don't belong there? That feeling came over me at this point. There my son and I were, snapping pictures. And this one guy who was clearly in the moment and feeling the spirit of Jesus, with eyes closed and arms raised,  suddenly stopped everything, as if he felt the presence of an unclean spirit. He opened his eyes, saw me, and seemed to lose whatever it was that had been moving him before. Perhaps it was because I was standing mere inches away from him and taking pictures of him without asking?

No,  I jest,  of course. Nevertheless, he did seem to get self-conscious in my presence. And not just once,  but twice. First when I passed by to get pictures of the front of the building. Next,  of course,  when I passed close by his area to get out of there. 

No longer very interested,  admittedly, my son and I continued to explore and take pictures of the iconic building and the grounds which it stood on.

Indeed, this was clearly the same building that I had heard so much about, and seen many pictures. Indeed, it was quite reminiscent of l'Hotel des Invalides in Paris. It was nice to finally see it in person. 

So yes, Des Moines was different than what I had expected. 

But not worse. Just different. 

Yet the State Capitol Building was one thing that had remained the same,  perhaps minus the Christian revivalist  concert in the front of the building, of course. 

Below are some of the pictures which I took of it,  and of the grounds surrounding it. 

Enjoy!














































No comments:

Post a Comment