Saturday, September 2, 2023

The Dignity of Earth and Sky Statue in Chamberlain, South Dakota



This is a relatively new statue. 

Yet somehow,  I had heard about it somewhere,  and had even done a bit of research for the trip. 

Then somehow, I forgot about it. 

Until we were driving eastward on I-90, and saw a sign for the statue,  which seems to be growing famous. 

So we stopped,  and I took these pictures. 

It is one more reminder - and South Dakota has a few, and growing in number  - that this land once accommodated Native Americans and their lifestyle.

Fittingly, this statue is named "Dignity. "

That is as it should be, I think. 

The statue itself is beautiful, as is the setting, perched on a bluff overlooking the mighty Missouri River, which was shining in the sunshine like a national guitar. 

Obviously, I took some pictures. We arrived too late for the museum display at this rest stop to be open, unfortunately. 

Still, I tried to take pictures to give a feel for the place. 

Enjoy!
 








No comments:

Post a Comment