As some of you who follow this blog, or who know me personally, are aware, I have largely lost interest in the NHL. Didn't bother covering last season, nor have plans to cover this new season about to begin. Until a Canadian team actually hoists the Stanley Cup, and perhaps also until Québec City actually gets a franchise again, and that sense that Americentric and specifically anti-Canadian policies and sentiments stop seemingly dominating whatever this incarnation of the NHL has become, I simply have lost interest in NHL hockey.
However, Québec City apparently may indeed soon get an expansion team. However, this will not be in the NHL, or even the sport of hockey. In fact, Québec City apparently is the leading contender for what seems like the expansion of the Canadian Football League.
I, for one, would applaud this movie. The CFL is a bit more grounded in reality and less hoopla and over the top entertainment that the National Football League (and to a lesser degree, the NHL) have given themselves to. In short, the CFL does not take itself nearly as seriously. Yet, it is an enjoyable sports league that feels a lot more down to scale and accessible than those other professional major North American sports leagues tend to be.
Frankly, it is refreshing.
So why not more teams and more cities? It feels to me like some of those cities without any professional sports franchises on a major scale would likely welcome having a professional team in their market. Québec City always felt to me like the leading city for expansion. It would provide the CFL with another interprovincial rivalry, which I think would be good. Ontario and Alberta have such rivalries, but why not Québec? Also, why not Halifax and/or Moncton and/or Charlottetown and/or St. John's? Perhaps Victoria, to give the CFL another local interprovincial rivalry, a new rival for the BC Lions?
Okay, I am getting ahead of myself. But I would welcome an expansion of the CFL. For a long time, it seemed like it was close to bankruptcy, to folding. But the CFL has rich traditions that predate the NFL. I am glad that it is being preserved and, hopefully, it can even be strengthened. Expansion feels like a way to do that, and to declare this in a very bold manner.
So by all means, let's see a CFL expansion team in the CFL.
Quebec’s CFL push could ignite a fiery new rivalry with Montreal September 25, 2026:
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.7359592
Quebec’s CFL push could ignite a fiery new rivalry with Montreal | CBC.ca


No comments:
Post a Comment