Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Montréal's Metro Will Be Free For Some Downtown Stations on Summer Weekends




Back during the holiday week between Christmas and New Year's in 1988, my family went up to Montréal for the week. It reconnected us with Francophone culture, and made that holiday feel special and unique. It remains one of the mome memorable Christmas to New Year's weeks of my childhood. It also allowed us to really start to appreciate Canada, perhaps especially Québec province, in the future.

I remember feeling quite taken by the city, especially the old town, or Vieux-Montréal. The old stone homes and cobblestone streets, the Champs-de-Mars and the Hôtel de Ville, the Château Ramezay, and the Notre-Dame basilica. It was a great city to explore!

One thing about Montréal that also always fascinated me was the Metro. It reminded me of the Paris Metro in terms of the way it looked and sounded, because of the rubber wheels. I always enjoyed riding on it.

Well, the city is doing something interesting this summer. It will be making rides free on the weekends in order to promote public transportation. Personally, I think this is a great idea! In fact, I might try to capitalize on it later on, with hopefully a trip up there.

In any case, click the link below for more details on this story:



Montreal's Metro will be free to ride on weekends at 7 downtown stations  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-metro-stm-free-weekends-1.6491378

No comments:

Post a Comment