Friday, May 31, 2019

I.M. Pei, Architect Who Designed Louvre Pyramid & Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, Dies at 102


A picture of my son and I at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland in 2012, which was obviously one of I.M. Pei's most famous works.



This was news that happened actually a couple of weeks ago, so it is outdated. Yet, it felt newsworthy to me, because this was one of the main architects who's career I followed for quite some time, ever since he designed and built the Pyramid at the entrance of the Louvre Museum in Paris, which was hugely controversial, and which perhaps remains controversial to this day, although most likely, it has come to be more accepted these days.

Yes, that was when I first heard about I.M. Pei. I know that my own feelings about it were similar to that of my family, at least at first, and that is that the Pyramid is beautiful, but probably should have been placed somewhere else, and not in front of something as stately, magnificent, and historically rich as the Louvre palace/museum. Over the years, however, I have come to not only accept it, but to appreciate it's beauty. It looks especially magnificent at night, although it is just generally a very idyllic scene. 

There is another famous building/artwork that I.M. Pei designed, and which I saw up close and personal, as well. That would be the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, right on the shores of Lake Erie. This is a very beautiful building, which adds something magnificent and yet also quite modern to the city. I know that Cleveland does not enjoy the best reputation with everyone, but the Rock Hall of Fame is, to me, a masterpiece, and Cleveland should feel grateful that it got that museum, which has only helped the image of that city. That is similar to the Louvre Pyramid, yet it is different, particularly since it is much bigger, and is the museum itself, as opposed to merely being the entrance to the museum, like the Louvre Pyramid. 

I.M. Pei became one of the world's most famous architects for famous, even iconic structures the world over. He died at 102, but contributed much during his time.

He will be missed.

RIP, I.M. Pei.










I.M. Pei, preeminent architect of civic centers and cultural institutions, dies at 102 By Terri Sapienza May 16, 2019:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/im-pei-preeminent-architect-of-civic-centers-and-cultural-institutions-dies-at-102/2019/05/16/f8e71e5a-7820-11e9-bd25-c989555e7766_story.html?fbclid=IwAR2-0_E29o-qUrEgCSmhWlXcmeYdNTeykYfUZ2LPF-dn-N0rt6sfU4HTWYg&utm_term=.29027b2666ea

No comments:

Post a Comment