Monday, August 21, 2023

A Visit to the International Peace Garden

Wanted to visit this place ever since first seeing the Canadian stamp for it, back in 1991. I had learned about a lot of things and places and people from stamps before,  mostly because of my grandfather's stamp collection. Alas,  he died in 1989.

Almost surprisingly, this was something I learned about from my own stamp collection, and not my grandfather, who had a much larger collection than I did back then. It was part of the Botanical Gardens of Canada series, and I wanted to visit each place. So far, this was my fourth of the five from that Canadian stamp series that I have managed pay a visit to. 

Finally got this chance for  a visit to these gardens with with my son on this trip. 

The Sunken Garden is the main attraction, and most of these pictures are of that. We woke up early in the morning, and had the entire gardens to ourselves for the whole hour and forty minutes or so that we were there for. 

Unbelievable. 

It is a beautiful place. If this were closer to a major population center/centre,  like Niagara Falls,  in close proximity to Toronto,  or perhaps between Vancouver and Seattle, I think that this would be a major draw. Possibly even world famous. 

As it is, it is four hours away from Winnipeg,  which is not a huge metropolis, and North Dakota on the other side. So that,  I suspect, is the reason why it feels so overlooked. A lot of people never even heard of it,  so clearly many just don't know anything about it. 

Still, it was one of the main things that I wanted to make a point of going to on this vacation. 

It's a shame. This really is a beautiful place, where two countries meet. A place dedicated to the idea of peace and friendship. 

The International Peace Garden is situated between Boissevain,  Manitoba,  and Dunseith,  North Dakota. 

Below are some of the pictures which I took. 

Enjoy!




















No comments:

Post a Comment